Help! We just got scr**ed!!!

bragis chut

We we're prepping to shoot a 35mm short film, starting on July 6TH and our DP just casually called up to announce that she was bailing on us for a feature . I'm not gonna get into the whole ethics of this, but it certainly leaves us high and dry.

We can't really push our shoot, because of location circumstances, so we're forced to look for a new DP without any real prep time. This shoot calls for a highly stylized look in the vein of CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, SLEEPY HOLLOW, LEMONY SNICKET... it's a fairy tale with a dark sensibility... Any DP's who are interested, please send me reels asap...

Thanks.

-- high and dry

• Premium Member
We we're prepping to shoot a 35mm short film, starting on July 6TH and our DP just casually called up to announce that she was bailing on us for a feature . I'm not gonna get into the whole ethics of this, but it certainly leaves us high and dry.

We can't really push our shoot, because of location circumstances, so we're forced to look for a new DP without any real prep time. This shoot calls for a highly stylized look in the vein of CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, SLEEPY HOLLOW, LEMONY SNICKET... it's a fairy tale with a dark sensibility... Any DP's who are interested, please send me reels asap...

Thanks.

-- high and dry

Normally a DP who does that does it because either the pay is better and/or the new job is for more days or it's a higher profile job. That doesn't make it a good thing at all, however usually that same DP, if they have a conscience, will contact other DP's they know and try and get a replacement before they actually switch off of the first shoot. I'm amazed this DP didn't generate a short but solid list of DP's you could contact that they have confidence in would do a good job and would be willing to step in.

Deposits can be construed as binding so if you gave your fleeing DP a deposit they really are on thin ice.

People do drop out for various reasons on shorts. It would've been good manners for the outgoing DP to give you a list of possible replacements.

However, you should be able to find a good replacement.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

HA HA HA HA HA

I have over six months of my time (not to mention a sizeable chunk of my savings account) invested in this project, so forgive me if I don't see the humor in this situation. What exactly are you laughing at? The idea that our short is falling apart and that all that time and money may be wasted, not to mention all the people who gave up their time? Or is it funny to see people try to pull something creative off, take a big gamble, and see it fall apart? Really, I wanna know how this is funny to you.

• Premium Member
I have over six months of my time (not to mention a sizeable chunk of my savings account) invested in this project, so forgive me if I don't see the humor in this situation. What exactly are you laughing at? The idea that our short is falling apart and that all that time and money may be wasted, not to mention all the people who gave up their time? Or is it funny to see people try to pull something creative off, take a big gamble, and see it fall apart? Really, I wanna know how this is funny to you.

He's fifteen years old, if that explains anything...

Guest Stephen Murphy

Why dont you post some details about your project; Where you're based, Where you're planning on shooting, Budget, Format etc.

I'm sure you'll find somebody on this forum who could help you out.

If you are near NYC or the northeast, I'm available. e mail through the site. Click on my name and use the contact link.

Best

Tim

Thanks to all who've responded already! I've gotten several nice emails and offers of assistance. Some project details: 35mm, running time approx 14 minutes long, shooting about two hours north of LA. The budget for the entire short is 35,000$. We have most of our crew lined up, approx size 25 people. The short is a macabre gothic fairytale centered around a young girl whose father is murdered. There are some miniatures involved, and a few FX shots. My background is mostly in screenwriting for TV and features but I'm trying to segue into directing. The shoot is five days, mostly splits (day/night).

Thanks all.

At some point Tim Tyler will require that people register with a credit card so that they can prove they are at least 18 years old, and of course then they'll have to use their real names as well. The teenagers who find this board are often more trouble than they are worth and treat this board the same as they do the other free boards they can post on with their teeny bopper friends.

18 year olds would be welcome as that would be the minimum age one would enter a film school for instance.

As to the gentleman who lost his DOP for his short....I feel your pain. Having self financed quite a number of projects on my own. But looks like you have some qualified help available to you, that's good.

In future you might try hooking up with a DOP who would have a vested interest in your projects vs having a hired gun who might run off on you for a higher paying or longer job. Crewing is an issue on even the BIG projects, with people dropping out of one for a chance to do some thing better on another. So don't feel bad it happens all the time.

R,

• Premium Member

If a DP had to drop out of a project with enough lead time to get a replacement, then I think he should provide a list of possible alternatives to contact.

If there isn't enough lead time to get a replacement, like the shoot is in a week or a few days, then he should find an adequate replacement, and if not, do the job unless the circumstances are quite dire (family emergency, etc.)

Usually there is a point of no return when it becomes too late to back out of a project.

Hi,

Fly me over, I'll happily do it - it'd be a priviledge!

Phil

Who are you and what did you do with Phil !?!?!?

heheheh

I just remember you scoffing at the idea of moving to LA in a post awhile back so this post strikes me with a bit of humor. Where did the new found optimism come from?

best

Tim

Thanks to all who've responded already! I've gotten several nice emails and offers of assistance. Some project details: 35mm, running time approx 14 minutes long, shooting about two hours north of LA. The budget for the entire short is 35,000$. We have most of our crew lined up, approx size 25 people. The short is a macabre gothic fairytale centered around a young girl whose father is murdered. There are some miniatures involved, and a few FX shots. My background is mostly in screenwriting for TV and features but I'm trying to segue into directing. The shoot is five days, mostly splits (day/night).

Thanks all.

damn. And I actually have tickets to fly to LA on July 9th for a two week work/vacation trip. If I was leaving a few days earlier.....

Best

Tim

Guest Danny
At some point Tim Tyler will require that people register with a credit card so that they can prove they are at least 18 years old, and of course then they'll have to use their real names as well. The teenagers who find this board are often more trouble than they are worth and treat this board the same as they do the other free boards they can post on with their teeny bopper friends.

Too bad I'm turning 18 next week... ;)

Hey, you don't get rid of me that easy.

Edited by Danny

Guest Danny
Oh right, sorry I meant 21 :)

R,

Now I have to go eat some Portugese sausage!

:rolleyes:

What's the name of the portugese whos sausage you're eating? ;) (Joke, bad joke...)

Edited by Danny

Oh right, sorry I meant 21 :)

R,

Now I have to go eat some Portugese sausage!

The final twist: so it appears as if our DP must have done some serious soul searching, and come to the conclusion that with only a few days left before the shoot left, leaving us in the lurch perhaps wasn't the best coolest move. Anyway, she's come on to the project again with a sincere apology (although we may lose her for the last day of the shoot which was a greenscreen shoot in LA)... Anyway, she is in again, and I just wanted to thank all who have emailed me and offered their help and assistance.

It's very cool to know that there are a lot of folks out there willing to drop everything to bail out a total stranger (even on the fourth of July, and all the way from London no less!!!)...

Sincerest thanks.

--Bragi

Yeah, real bad. When you turn 18 leave that Beavis & Butthead humour in the toilet where it comes from.

In other news why would gallantyne quote my post above his for his last post????????????

I assume that was in error by hitting the quote button? As my post has no relation to what he's saying.

R,

Guest Danny
Yeah, real bad. When you turn 18 leave that Beavis & Butthead humour in the toilet where it comes from.

It will be waiting there for you and your cottaging portugese friend when he visits. (p.s. I really am only joking about here.)

Edited by Danny

It's just the idea of the a DP running away into the woods, maybe he got eaten by a bear.

I really am sorry about your financial loss and the time wasted, and for offending you, I

should have explained myself better, I am EXTREMLY sorry.

Good Luck

Matthew Buick

"It will be waiting there for you and your cottaging portugese friend when he visits. (p.s. I really am only joking about here.)"

Yes I know you're joking, that's fine. But I thought this was a family board, so the reference was a bit harsh and over the top. I make a lot of "comments" myself, but I draw the line at sexual inuendo like that.

R,

I just want people to know, I am a responsible teenager and do not smoke pot or drink,

I am NOT here to do all that 'teeny bopper' stuff and hate Beevis and Butthead, whatever

that is, so please don't take me for a teenage idiot.

Matthew Buick

Guest Danny
"It will be waiting there for you and your cottaging portugese friend when he visits. (p.s. I really am only joking about here.)"

Yes I know you're joking, that's fine. But I thought this was a family board, so the reference was a bit harsh and over the top. I make a lot of "comments" myself, but I draw the line at sexual inuendo like that.

R,

An over 18 family board?!

(Anyway I can see someone else over-reacting about this... logging off. I think we should keep the "comments" out of this place.)

Edited by Danny

• Premium Member

"Yeah, real bad. When you turn 18 leave that Beavis & Butthead humour in the toilet where it comes from."

You should hear me and my crew deep into a long day, you would not be the first person we have scared away ;)