Kansas Cinematpgrapher killed in Copter Crash

I know some of you here know this Cinematograpaher and have spoke of him im posts. I did not know if this community heard of this tragic accident but i just wanted to make sure yo uguys know.

a sad day in this business indeed. Mr. Roland Schlotzhauer.....

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/3259386.html

===================================================

WALFORD - Authorities have released the names of the people involved in the deadly helicopter crash in Benton County.

We now know that one of the men injured is Tony Wilson, 49, of Dallas Center, Iowa. Wilson is one of the producer's of The Final Season. He was flown by air care to University of Iowa Hospitals, where he is in critical condition with multiple injuries. Crew members say this movie has been his project for many years and they want to finish it in honor of him.

The pilot, another Iowan, Richard Green, 72, of Hudson, is also at the University of Iowa Hospitals in critical condition.

A third man, a movie photographer, Roland Schlotzhauer, 50, of Lenexa, Kansas, died in Friday's crash.

NewsCopter 9 has been reporting from the scene on KCRG-TV9 this afternoon and from the video you can see the aircraft is destroyed.

The crash happened at Highway 151 and 33rd Avenue just before 1 o'clock Friday afternoon. That's about one mile west of Walford. The helicopter hit power lines.

People who live in the area tell TV9 the helicopter was being used to film the baseball movie The Final Season.

The movie is about Norway High School's final baseball season. Crews have been in Iowa filming since the beginning of June.

Check KCRG.com in the coming hours for exclusive video from NewsCopter9.

Stay with KCRG-TV9 and KCRG.com for continuing coverage of this breaking news story.

=============================================

Edited by Marc_Abernathy

This happened about 10 miles from where I am working in Cedar Rapids. If you look at the pictures at KCRG.com it's a wonder all were not killed, although the two who survived are still in critial condition.

When I was renting out Tyler Mounts in Salt Lake City, we had a chopper with a middle mount go down along a highway after it hit a wire. All were very lucky since the craft was able to skid along highway mostly right side up. Destoyed pretty much everything accept the 35-3 and lens.

i read this over at steadicamforum.com, and me rather sad...

I also got the call for this shoot.

Jeff Hunt ended up doing the show.

However, my regular 1st AC is the "A" Camera 1st AC on this show in

Iowa that had the accident yesterday.

He just called me this morning.

This is another example of how NOT to make a film.

My assistant told me the whole story, here's the deal in as brief as I can be:

First off, Jeff Hunt is alive and well, but thanking God for it every minute as

we speak.

The helicopter was rigged with a Tyler mount, this was NOT a steadicam in the

helicopter shot. However, Jeff asked and WANTED to do the shot in the helicopter

with the Tyler mount. However, the DP (Dan Stoloff) told him NO, that he needed

him over on 1st Unit.

The Producers decided to hire a gentleman out of Kansas City named Roland.

Roland was 50. He had a wife and two kids.

Roland came over to do this shot as a dayplayer and it was his first and only day on

the show.

My assistant Greg (the 1st AC) met Roland the day before and got him all the gear.

He mentioned how nice of a guy he was.

Here's what happened.

In the interest of saving money, the producers decided to hire a "friend" who was a pilot

but primarily worked as a CROP DUSTER, and did basically no aerial photography.

This crop duster gentleman is 72 years old!!!

The shot required him to fly close to power lines. This gentleman does crop dusting in

this area was was FAMILIAR with the power line.

On the VERY FIRST MAGAZINE he got too close and hit the power lines sending the chopper down!

Greg (1st AC) sent the loader to go off and pull focus on the shot. His loader saw the whole thing.

The Tyler Mount essentially crushed the chest of Roland upon impact with the ground. It's still unclear

if he was killed instantly or lived for a handful of minutes.

The Producer and his 72 year old Crop Duster pilot are still in critical condition!

Here's the outrage in this all. The other producers WANTED TO KEEP FILMING and FINISH the DAY!

Even before they heard if anybody had died (the accident took place 3 miles from the 1st unit)

they "took a vote" of the crew to see who was willing and wanting to continue

after the producer's gave a speech saying, "this project has been in the making for

10 years and they'd want us to finish."

Greg told me he said, "are you F--king kidding? why don't we see if everybody is okay."

He also said, "has anybody heard from (the loader...don't remember his name) he might

be dead." Upon hearing that Roland had died, the camera, grip and electric crew walk off.

And get this, the producers in their kind and generous ways gave the crew all of a few hours to grieve, as

they are now filming TODAY (Saturday) with 2 units to "make up for the lost scenes" from yesterday!!

They finish the film Monday July 3rd!

My assistant went to the accident scene with the NTSB investigators as, unbelievably, the mag on the camera stayed intact and the NTSB wanted the film, so Greg had to go to the scene and remove the mag and download the film. He took pictures of the site and has them. I told him to be sure to get

me copies as we ALL needed to see AGAIN, why we don't go up in HELICOPTERS to get shots that

overzealous directors and producers want. That's what Wescam's are for.

We really need regulations on helicopter/aerial photography. We don't need more people

dying unnecessarily in the name of "getting a shot".

God be with Roland and his family as well as give the producer and pilot the strength to pull through.

Hopefully if they do, they'll speak to producers/directors and champion the cause of

having regulations on helicopter/aerial photography.

a 72 year old crop duster?

that's pretty crazy....

Edited by haspel

• Premium Member

Producers are Upstairs, we're Downstairs. Increasingly the USA is turning into Edwardian England where those who own things have a sense of entitlement that includes thinking of the "help" as cattle to be slaughtered at will.

(for instance: you think our pitiful health system isn't a form of slaughtering the help? We've got the best system in the world if you're rich, and we rank with the third world if you work for a living).

This is a quote one day after the crash from the Des Moines Register.

This is what Producer Steve Schott had to say to rally his troops.

"We're doing this for Tony, and for Roland, and for Richard." Uh, huh.

That Steve Schott sounds like a swell guy and a real go-getter.