Jacob's Ladder - Jeffrey Kimball, ASC

Marc Levy

Does anyone have any info on Jeffrey Kimball's cinematography from Jacob's Ladder (1990)? I've searched, and have found nothing. Specifically, I am interested in the haze effects, and whether haze or filtration was the predmoniant factor in achieving the effect. Any other info would be useful, also.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Great movie. Brilliantly shot by Kimball. He's one of my heroes - I love his earlier

work. His smoky, hazy work on Revenge is fabulous and the work he did on Jacob's

Ladder is equally great. His later work hasn't wooed me in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

The sequence with Cruise moving through the crowd shot through Spanish Dancers in red in Mission Impossible II was mesmerizing, very good looking picture all the way through. Also you must see True Romance if you haven't yet. Haven't seen Paycheck or The Big Bounce yet though.

David Campbell

• Premium Member

Check out "Stigmata", shot by Kimball, using a skip-bleach process for the negative.

"Revenge" looks great too. I even like "Beverly Hills Cop II" for the look.

Perhaps Kimball has gotten tired of that slick 90's commercial look; by the time you get to something like "Revenge" it almost looks like a parody of a Tony Scott movie, it's so over the top at times. Although I'd rather look at another "Revenge" than another "Paycheck." But he's still one of the best DP's out there; the recent projects just haven't called for that level of stylization.

What's nice about "Jacob's Ladder" is that it has some grittiness missing in the Scott movies -- it doesn't look like a perfume commercial; it almost has a 1970's Gordon Willis texture to it.

• 7 years later...