First Instructional video shoot

I need to figure out which camera to use shooting my first instructional video. I've got a nice budget to work with. I'm figuring about $300 per day to rent a camera rather than use my sony vx2000. I'm going to be setting up sound and I'll need something with xlr inputs. I've got a few concerns as to which camera to get. While I feel comfortable with the Sony vx-2000 I have not really used many other cameras so I don't want to rent something that's I'm going to be unsure of the outcome or be fumbling around with in front of the client. But I do want something that's going to give me a nice picture. I've looked at some of the newer cameras with high def and 24p but I'm wondering if worth me messing with on this project. We'll be making about 3500 copies of our DVD this year and probably 8000 next year. This instructional video will be for a new home appliance.

Yeah that's kinda what I figured, but since it's in the budget (even if I get lights, it's still in the budget), I'd like to get my hands wet using some other cameras. How else would I get experience with other cameras unless I paid someone to show me?

OK, if it's gonna be paid for anyway, get a standard Sony broadcast studio camera package with on-camera monitor, zoom & focus controls, CCU, triax cable, Sachtler tripod, 8" monitor, waveform/vectorscope and a recording deck (either BetaSP or DVCam). This is a standard setup for industrial and commercial video shoots, is relatively portable (the shipping cases come on casters), and gives top notch SD video performance. Learn how to assemble and balance the camera on the tripod, how to adjust tilt and pan drag, how to operate the CCU and align the camera with the waveform/vectorscope, how to obtain correct sync between CCU and record deck, and tear down the system without losing or breaking anything. If you learn these critically important camera engineering and operation tasks you'll be a step ahead of every kamkorder kid in your class.

Edited by Robert Hughes

I really appreciate your feedback. It helps put things in perspective. Especially since my budget has been cut down quite a bit. It would be nice if I could get a full set-up like that, but my budget has been reduced because of various reasons but all in all for equipment I've got about $1400 to work with. I'm going to need to rent everything for 2 days. So this is what I'm thinking:

1 Sony VX-2000 (all ready own)

1 Sony PD150 $150/day = $300

1 Tripod $20/day = $ 40

1 Mic $20/day = $ 40

1 Mic boom pole $20/day = $ 40

1 Mic windscreen $15/day = $ 30

3 Kinoflow 4' 4bank $65/day = $390

1 Dedo 4 light Kit $125/day = $250

5 C-stands $5 ea./day = $ 50

Misc cables/cords flags/scrimms = $250

Total = $1400

I'm renting the dedo kit because there might be some tight little angles shooting inside of the appliance, and I was told that would be a good light to use.