SD or HDV

Stephen Whitehead

Hey, I am shooting a doc this weekend with the 100U. Now I haven't shot on video for quite some time, so I just have a few questions. The final product will be distributed on DVD, so I am wondering if it would be better to shoot in HDV 24p and down res it, once we are in editing, or just to shot SD 24p in camera. Also is there any sort of workflow change if I am shooting 24p sd? or is it just like transferring standard MiniDV footage into final cut pro?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve

Hey, I am shooting a doc this weekend with the 100U. Now I haven't shot on video for quite some time, so I just have a few questions. The final product will be distributed on DVD, so I am wondering if it would be better to shoot in HDV 24p and down res it, once we are in editing, or just to shot SD 24p in camera. Also is there any sort of workflow change if I am shooting 24p sd? or is it just like transferring standard MiniDV footage into final cut pro?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve

Sorry, I found another post that answered that question. i am gonna shoot in HDV, but what is the best means to transfer it, and down res it? should I down res in Final Cut Pro, or is there another software package? And does the HDV format transfer directly into final cut pro or is there some sort of intermediate software package needed?

Thanks for your patience.

Steve

I would recomend downresing it in the computer, to an uncompressed file. Since like 4 or 5 pixels will make 1 pixel in SD, color space will be much improved (near 4:4:4) if you keep it uncompressed. Transcode it to DV50 and its 4:2:2 and DV25 is 4:2:0 (I am pretty sure, somebody check me if I am wrong) Of course if your not doing much color correction, this is not much of an issue.)