My shoulder hurts....what was I thinking?

Brad Grimmett

• Premium Member

I'm posting both to test and see if I can actually post a photo here and also to show you guys the beastly camera I was handholding on Big Stan a week ago. It was a Panastar II with a 10-1. Originally I had a 1000ft mag, but had to go to a 400 after that. The 400 was much worse because the balance of the camera got even more front heavy. I thought you folks might get a laugh from seeing this setup. I actually did this to myself since I was shooting 2nd unit and I could have just used sticks, but I felt like handheld was the only way I could get what the 2nd unit director wanted. My 1st looked at me kinda funny when I told him to convert the camera to handheld. I started on about a 25mm and ended up doing a lot of the stuff at about 100mm.

post-239-1152526645.jpg

post-239-1152526687.jpg

• Premium Member
I'm posting both to test and see if I can actually post a photo here and also to show you guys the beastly camera I was handholding on Big Stan a week ago. It was a Panastar II with a 10-1. Originally I had a

Oh to be young, foolish, and... strong again. :D

Hi, like 4 weeks ago I did a proyect as camera operator, it was like 14 hour day all days, and everything was shot hand held. It still hurts just to remind. I had a 35-3 with a modified viewfinder that was like 3 inches larger than the usual 35-3 vf, top mags. So I had to hold hole weitght of camera with my arms instead of resting in my shoulder. Damn, still hurts!!!

Oscar

• Premium Member

Yeah, it's the balance more than the weight sometimes. Although a heavy rig will defintely fatigue you much faster.

I thought I was doing okay the first time I had to hand-hold a BL3, until I had to do a shot looking straight down at the ground. You have to hold up the ENTIRE weight with your biceps and forearms!

On the other hand, I shot a concert last week with a D-30 head in CCU configuration (very lightweight), but doing prolonged angles looking up from in front of the stage got really fatiguing.

Thanks for the pics, I always enjoy seeing others' set pictures.

• Premium Member
I can't believe that "United 93" was shot handheld with 35mm 10:1 zooms, some Optimos I think.

They had a bungee rig and possibly another type of rig that helped with the weight, but yeah, I'm sure those cameras were pigs to handhold all day.

Hi, like 4 weeks ago I did a proyect as camera operator, it was like 14 hour day all days, and everything was shot hand held. It still hurts just to remind. I had a 35-3 with a modified viewfinder that was like 3 inches larger than the usual 35-3 vf, top mags. So I had to hold hole weitght of camera with my arms instead of resting in my shoulder. Damn, still hurts!!!

Oscar

I assume you're talking about an Arri 3 and not an Aaton 35-3.....

The Arri 3 is simply NOT a handheld camera. But of course there are always times when we have to do silly things, as is evidenced by the pictures I posted. I talked about a trick I use when handholding an Arri 3 in another post, but basically you use very long rods (normally used for big zoom lenses) and have them stick WAY out the back of the camera and use them as something to put on your shoulder. Some counter weight on the ends of the rods is useful, and a pad for the shoulder is definately needed. It's not pretty, and it's certainly uncomfortable, but it helps the operating immensely.