beaulieu lens 7-56 experiences

A.Oliver

Hi, got very lucky and purchased a brand new boxed 7008 pro, along with the 7-56 beaulieu lens. I believe this particular lens was manufactured by chinon. Has anyone used a beaulieu with the 7-56 f1.4 lens, if so, how do you rate the lens?. Is it worth dumping the lens for the 6-70 or 6-80?. Just run a film thru the camera, now a waiting game, any input on the 7-56 would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

The Super 8 zooms are pretty bad, even 6-90mm Angenieux T1.4 ( I have one) are not so good but it's true that the focal range and the wide aperture is great...

The best is to use fixed 16mm lenses like Super speed Zeiss with adapter : C mount / PL or C mount/ Bayonet .

For telephoto use you can also use Nikon AiS lenses with a C mount / Nikon mount adapter but it's hard to find a wide lens then...

Those options are pretty expensive unless you rent a lens set.

If you want to use Super 8 for its "family movie" look, shoot with the zooms !

I did a fair amount of lens testing before purchasing a Beaulieu 6008, and while working in the Camera Room at film school. I tested the very lenses you mention, and while the tests were far from hard scientific tesing, I did run some 'recommended' tests, resolution charts, contrast differnece charts, and exposures at various f-stops.

In all fairness I didn't have more than a three of the Schnieder lenses, and three Angnieux lenses, the 8-66, the 6-80 and the 6-90 (my own). Overall the Angenieux were better at all apertures, except for one of the Schneiders, I apoligize I can't recall which one, but it offered macro, I remember that.

Not sure where the constant 'bad' or medicore feedback about Angenieux zooms comes from, its about 180 degrees opposite from my amateur and my professional experience with them.

On the other hand, I've found more soft Schneder zooms than Angenieux, in general usage. Again, I can only speak from my own Super-8 experience, which was pretty extensive in the mid-80's through the early 90's.

Here's an old link to a Super-8 site I once wrote a review for...pardon the goofinesses, the technical info still applies! Take care, hope this helps.

hp

Hi, got very lucky and purchased a brand new boxed 7008 pro, along with the 7-56 beaulieu lens. I believe this particular lens was manufactured by chinon. Has anyone used a beaulieu with the 7-56 f1.4 lens, if so, how do you rate the lens?. Is it worth dumping the lens for the 6-70 or 6-80?. Just run a film thru the camera, now a waiting game, any input on the 7-56 would be greatly appreciated.

Andy