Music Videos

Vincent T Sharma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07vZezFq3w...b%20for%20cutie

I just saw this video and was wondering how they made it. I could make out the desaturation and color timing. But I am not sure about the contrast........was this shot on video or film??? Great music video though. They have got some good music videos on this site, so check it out.

Looking forward to your analysis on this.

I just saw this video and was wondering how they made it. I could make out the desaturation and color timing. But I am not sure about the contrast........was this shot on video or film??? Great music video though. They have got some good music videos on this site, so check it out.

Lots of DI. Possible use of filters. Maybe use of a push to add contrast.... But the coloring and contrast mostly likely added in DI. I also noiced what seemed like slight, slight exposure rackings to create a semi light strobing effect to the scene (which could have been done in post as well).

Edited by Mark T. Karinja

on that note, I am wondering if anyone has any explanation as to how this video was done. Here in my home town of Houston, TX.

www.southfortressfilms.com

The video's pretty slick. I've been trying to get in contact with the guys who did it.

Lots of DI. Possible use of filters. Maybe use of a push to add contrast.... But the coloring and contrast mostly likely added in DI.

I'm being picky, I know, but strictly speaking a DI is the digital grading of film for a film finish, hence the 'Intermediate'. Grading for a tape finish, either in Telecine or in post is just called Grading.

I'm being picky, I know, but strictly speaking...

a DI is the digital grading of film for a film finish, hence the 'Intermediate'.

Grading for a tape finish, either in Telecine or in post is just called Grading.

That's what I was thinking...

I've done several vids with alot of slick effects...

And we've never done a DI.

Anyways people get the idea.

• Premium Member
I'm being picky, I know, but strictly speaking a DI is the digital grading of film for a film finish, hence the 'Intermediate'. Grading for a tape finish, either in Telecine or in post is just called Grading.

You know if i was being picky i'd say that a DI can be used on a music clip, feature or even a wedding video . Telecine is a transfer of film to tape, a DI is a digital intermediate- which is digital grading prior to output, this could be to film, tape or another medium. After all if you stick your film through Lustre and end up only on HD is this any less of a DI than if you end up on film?

Keith

That video was hdv, with the sony z1u, color correction was done with apple's shake.

• Premium Member
You know if i was being picky i'd say that a DI can be used on a music clip, feature or even a wedding video . Telecine is a transfer of film to tape, a DI is a digital intermediate- which is digital grading prior to output, this could be to film, tape or another medium. After all if you stick your film through Lustre and end up only on HD is this any less of a DI than if you end up on film?

Keith

Hi,

If you finish on Digital then then you have a Digital or video finish. That's not an intermediate IMHO.

Stephen

on that note, I am wondering if anyone has any explanation as to how this video was done. Here in my home town of Houston, TX.

www.southfortressfilms.com

The video's pretty slick. I've been trying to get in contact with the guys who did it.

Damn. Finally I can see that video in a proper rez rather then youtube. That looks to me like a 16mm neg color corrected to that look. Probably threw davinci.

R.I.P HAWK.

Guest Sasuke

That looks like 16mm Kodachrome transfered via the WorkPrinter or Sniper Pro (Home telecine Unit).

The flickering looks like what you get from transferring from a projector in real time without a 5-bladed shutter.

Keith

I wasn't trying to start an argument, merely use the correct terms for the task in hand. Grading is grading and DI is DI. The similarities between the processes are not in question. Where it matters is when you walk into a post facility and ask for a quote for a DI when you actually mean color correction. The extra 00000 on the quote will make your head spin.

R.I.P. HAWK

Ditto on that note. RIP Hawk you were a good guy. and a great video. Just worked on Bun B/ Wine-O video yesterday and a Lil Keke/Paul Wall video last Wednesday. Houston's on the band wagon!

Guest Aaron_Farrugia

technically the moment u convert film to digital u are going through a di if ur going to finish on film

its not just grading

• Premium Member
technically the moment u convert film to digital u are going through a di if ur going to finish on film

its not just grading

No, any film material that gets telecine transferred to digital would count as a "D.I." then -- every TV show, commercial, music video, etc. The term would be uselessly vague then.

A "D.I." means more than just a transfer from film to digital, or just a digital color-correction.

What we're talking about is color-correction here, not a D.I.

D.I. refers to converting film to digital as an intermediate stage for post-production work like color grading before converting it back to film. FILM-DIGITAL-FILM. Hence digital "intermediate" as opposed to film "intermediate" (the traditional photochemical post to finish a movie for projection.)

Now some people have stretched the term to cover digital cinema, i.e. also releasing the movie theatrically for digital projection. But the term does not cover just anything transferred to digital for television distribution, like a commercial or music video. That's just a normal digital post and color-correction, not a "D.I."

I think it's very important for all to take note of what David Mullen has said. Seems like a lot of "younger" DP's are bandying about the term DI without really understanding what it means.

A graded or supervised telecine is NOT a DI.

I guess that DI sounds trendier and less old fashioned than telecine to some and that is the reason for this confusion.

It really is a turnoff for producers to hear DI mentioned when talking about a music video especially.

• Premium Member

Okay so if a film is shot on film scanned, corrected in lustre and but the producers fail to get a cinema release, then this ceases to have gone through a DI? What about a commercial shot on film, shown in the cinema and has been graded on a baselight? Or the 3D section in a feature which is outputted on film and digitally timed with the same tools as the live action sections? Or a film shot on Viper and graded digitally and outputted to film. As far as I'm concerned the word intermediate is the give away DI is a digital "intermediatry" stage between one format and another, this could include a straight TK in the modern digital world, but obviously not a pre digital TK. I think there is a bit of snobbery here to say that a DI is purely a feature based concept, there are plenty of television shows, shorts, commercials and music videos using the same, and even pioneering, the latest DI tools.

Keith

• Premium Member
Okay so if a film is shot on film scanned, corrected in lustre and but the producers fail to get a cinema release, then this ceases to have gone through a DI? What about a commercial shot on film, shown in the cinema and has been graded on a baselight? Or the 3D section in a feature which is outputted on film and digitally timed with the same tools as the live action sections? Or a film shot on Viper and graded digitally and outputted to film. As far as I'm concerned the word intermediate is the give away DI is a digital "intermediatry" stage between one format and another, this could include a straight TK in the modern digital world, but obviously not a pre digital TK. I think there is a bit of snobbery here to say that a DI is purely a feature based concept, there are plenty of television shows, shorts, commercials and music videos using the same, and even pioneering, the latest DI tools.

Keith

Hi,

If a negative made and printed then you have gone through a DI. The commercial shot on film and output to film would be a DI. IMHO the Viper footage is also a DI if prined back to film.

Stephen

Guest Aaron_Farrugia

this discussion came up from a recent visit to cinevex film processing in melbourne they believe that theoretically you are going through a digital intermediate the moment the film is scanned and you decide to do anything to it in the digital realm

No, any film material that gets telecine transferred to digital would count as a "D.I." then -- every TV show, commercial, music video, etc. The term would be uselessly vague then.

but i do understand your point though

Seems unnecessary to debate as all would still know the meaning I guess.

On the yuotube page I think the video looks as if having been shot with some type of video format and crushed to pieces in a computer. Very good video though.

Like this one better : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp8seG_dP9o...b%20for%20cutie