Time to go for popcorn

• Premium Member

Earlier this afternoon, I sat down to watch a movie. As usual, there was ample time between the scheduled start and the first frames of actual movie being shown - time not only to go for popcorn, but to field a couple of e-mails and polish my shoes.

Only, this being a home-theatre moment, there wasn't any popcorn to be had. Instead, I was forced to sit glassy-eyed and drooling slightly through a multi-minute litany of badly-shot antipiracy propaganda and weaselly corporate snivelling of the "views and opinions expressed" variety. Naturally, none of it could be bypassed by the transport controls, because as I'm sure has been proven by a dozen carefully controlled studies, forcing me to watch the "piracy is stealing" trailer another couple of times has a very measurable effect on the Chinese hack shops turning out the majority of ripoffs. Next time, I'm going to by a counterfeit - they don't have any of this bollocks.

The moral of this story is, of course, that antipiracy measures always clobber the honest hardest.

• Premium Member

I was thinking about this recently when I went to see Superman Returns. There was at least a full 20 minutes of previews and commercials, most of the latter being HD-blowups of spots for offensive ring tones. I wished I was on my couch with my DVD player at that moment.

At home, I've take to putting in a DVD a while before I plan on watching it, and just let it auto-run past all that crap. When I finally sit down I just go to the menu and dial in what I want.

It seems like the newer DVD's just keep making those commercials and previews longer and longer. Some of the lastest ones I've seen, seem excessively long.

Some DVD players can ignore the UOP (user operation prohibited) (or PUO) files, the commercials, previews and such that cannot be forwarded through. Most of the big name brands can't do that but some of the so-called grey market ones can.

• 2 weeks later...

It is sort of a slap in the face that we pay good money to see a movie, and the corperate shenanigans have me wondering what film I am seeing before it plays.

I understand making money, but seriously its uncool. Trailers are one thing. I like to see the trailers in the way they will be seen in theater when they are released after all I am a movie goer, I should want to hear a brief selection of new movies, but I go to a theater to escape the corperate ad-driven world as best I can, and forgive a pepsi can here, or a car with a few too many close ups there. But being called a pirate (and the ads are so bad, like a mid 90's music video in a crack house) really gets to me. I paid right? I know piracy is illegal, imoral and wrong. Why keep pushing that point when by all means I did right? The screen should pop up with the green smiley face from Fight Club with a big "GOOD JOB BUDDY, YOU BOUGHT THE DAMN THING!" make me feel good about not pirating sort of stuff (stuff that can last 5 seconds and be easily skipped would be nice)

most of the latter being HD-blowups of spots for offensive ring tones. I wished I was on my couch with my DVD player at that moment.

Well, at least nobody in the theater bought the offensive ring tone, only to have their new musical jewl go off in the middle of the show. That would drive me nuts.

• Premium Member

Not sure about region one but, in the UK, we pride ourselves on having the worst anti-piracy advert ever. Its got to the point where even my gran recognises the haunting electonic rock soundtrack to "would you steal a car/handbag/movie!!!!!" and wanders off to do anything but watch it. Problem is, they are finding more ways to keep us from fast forwarding through it all. . .

As for popcorn. . . as seasoned DVD watchers, this may be a good time to rate the best micro-popcorn products. You cant beat the real deal but it does help to have something to munch on (guilt-free as you wont disturb anyone else)

I am pretty annoyed that regular adverts are getting a higher percentage of "trailer time". And its not like many of them do themselves any favours as they are shot for TV stylings and dont come over well at all. Only those companies that attempt to make something for the cinema environment get my attention, the Orange ads in the UK being a good example being a bit of fun.

Trailers? Always good, though some of the big releases still seem to put up poor trailers. Is this to avoid over-hype? :unsure: