48 Hour Film Challenge

Hey Loyal Posters,

I just completed a short for a festival in Toronto called the 48 Hour film Challenge.

i knnow many other cities do the same thing so i won't bore you with the details.

Essentially:

48 hours from concept to completion

10 people max including actors

4 criteria to abide by

Mine:

Location - Mechanics Garage

Genre - Romance

Crisis - Running into an ex

Prop - Pin the tail on the donkey

It's posted online and I'd like you all to see it and tell me what you think or would do differently if you can.

Keep in mind i was DP not diretcor. Also once we shot something we were hard pressed to reshoot if it didnt work in post as I'm sure you understand.

Enjoy... Kyle

www.stealingtime.com

click on "cient login"

Username - "tfc"

Pass - "2006"

Kyle Geerkens

Director of Photgraphy

Well I don't see a reason to even critique a film that was made in 48 hours, especially one that has specific criteria. I did one of these 48 hour things back in April just to see what it was like. But after I finished the film, I coulnd't figure out why everyone loves to do these things. Yes it was a cool concept to see how fast you can put together a film, but in the end they are always crap, I know mine was :). If you are forcing random specific criteria into a cohesive film it never really works. Frankly after doing one of them, I have no desire to ever do one again. If our goal is to perfect our craft and create interesting stories then why do we put ourselves through such hell and at the end of it, get no real reward.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and a film shouldn't be made in two.

And Kyle I wasn't slamming you, frankly your film looked a lot better then mine did, but in the end what's really the point?

-Scott

Ya i know what you mean.

After doing mine, I really do want to do more. I think it's more for the fun than creating a masterpiece. I also find it fun to light with limited time and see what you can accomplish. And there were many in the festival that were absolutely stellar.

Truth be told, i would rather fill my weekend stressed out on that challnege than sitting on my arse all day.!

thanks for your comments

• 10 months later...

I just shot a 48 hour film project here in Boston. We had a blast and can't wait to do it again next year. Since most of the projects I have worked on have time constraints shooting this project wasn't too much different than any project I have done for school. Of course you're not going to make a masterpiece in 48 hours, but hopefully we made something that is entertaining for 7 minutes.

here is the link to our film.

http://film.startledmarmot.com/videos

~Chris