HD 10 bit display monitor?

Brandon Robinson

So there are plenty of cams that can capture 10 bit colorspace, but is there a studio monitor or computer monitor that can display this information without interpretting to 8 bit. I found one at siggraph (Sunnybrook HDR ) that claim they can display higher than 10 bits per channel, but it didnt have a fast refresh so useless really for video I feel. I am looking for a 10 bit display for a video installation piece, so if you know of one and are also interested I am open to working on group projects.

-Brandon

• Premium Member

Hi,

If it's just for a display, you really can't tell except in extremely specific circumstances.

That said, most TFT displays are actually no more than 6 or 7 bits of effective per-channel resolution, so watch out for that. The Dell and Apple types are decent.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
So there are plenty of cams that can capture 10 bit colorspace, but is there a studio monitor or computer monitor that can display this information without interpretting to 8 bit. I found one at siggraph (Sunnybrook HDR ) that claim they can display higher than 10 bits per channel, but it didnt have a fast refresh so useless really for video I feel. I am looking for a 10 bit display for a video installation piece, so if you know of one and are also interested I am open to working on group projects.

-Brandon

I heard this system works well. A cinematographer friend of mine just got one... and Im about to buy this monitor for my mac. It claims to be 14bit.