still having focus issues--help?

Ruby Gold

After the focus problems with my brand new 100B that I described in an earlier post, I ended up sending the camera in to be checked out. Turns out the repair guy did find a slight misalignment in the focus which he said he corrected.

Just got the camera back and I'm still noticing a very slight soft focus when close in, so I'm wondering if it's me or the camera. I'm paranoid that I may have a defective camera, and I want to replace it if that's the case, but the soft focus is so slight, and I'm so new to the camera, that I can't tell if it's me or the cam.

To reiterate the problem:

I'm shooting in indoor settings with 3 or 4 point studio lighting, iris is manually set and ranges from f/5.6 to f/6.8. I set manual focus by zooming in to Z99, focusing, and then zooming back out to frame the shot. When zooming back in after this for close-ups, I've had a little bit of a problem with soft focus on close shots. It's not on every close-up shot, but has appeared somewhat randomly both before I sent the camera in and after. I don't notice the soft focus on the lcd screen when shooting, but after capturing the footage.

I'm also noticing that across shoots, even when the face is totally in focus, the person's jewelry (true on three different shoots/people) is not. For example hoop earrings or necklaces are blurry while the face and neck are in focus.

I know shiny things can be a problem for auto focus, but I'm in manual. Any thoughts on why this might be occurring, and if this is an indication that wd confirm something's wrong with the camera? Or is it me?

I've attached screenshots showing the soft focus issue when more zoomed in (the man), and the blurry earrings/focused face thing (the woman).

All thoughts appreciated on whether it's me or the cam. I want to stop tripping about this, but if there truly is something defective with the camera, I don't want to ignore it.

thanks again-

Ruby