Bulk load 35mm 5279 into stills?

Daniel Tan

Hey everyone,

I have a quickie question regarding about doing bulk load for my 35 short ends into stills. I have about 600 feets of 5279 and instead of letting it sits in my fridge forever, I am thinking about using them as stills.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? I know I need a bulk loader for sure and the whole process seems to be simple as far as I understood it.

by the way...it is Chinese New Year.....Happy New Year to everyone out there....

Regards,

Daniel :D

• Premium Member

Yes, you need a bulk loader and reloadable cassettes.

The films MUST be processed in a ECN-2 motion picture process. If they are processed in a consumer (C-41) process, the rem-jet will totally contaminate the process, ruining your film and all the other film going through the machine.

You need to work with your lab in getting the films prespliced into a roll that can be fed onto a motion picture processor (you will lose a few inches of film at each end). Some labs may be unwilling to do this, due to the risk of the additional splices breaking. After processing, the rolls need to be spliced together for printing onto Kodak VISION Color Print Film. In most cases, you will need to print each roll at a "best light", as most printers cannot make color corrections on a frame-by-frame basis. Your "slides" will have the opposite orientation of reversal film slides (Kodachrome or Ektachrome films), since they are prints.

Paper prints or digital scans can also be made from your negatives.