Ultra-fraudulent Ebay listing - Aaton

Guest Ian Marks

• Premium Member

Ian,

That camera shows up about twice a week. It is a collection of pics from two different Aatons that were sold over the last six months. There are about three Arriflex's and that Aaton that show up constantly.

For those who are new to this, any time an auction says:

For all details CLICK HERE

Don't bid on it and don't click on it. It is a scam where the scammer is trying to obtain your eBay registration information.

For those who are new to this, any time an auction says:

Ask seller a question is broken, so before you bid, email me at xxxxxx@yahoo.com, or xxxxxx@gmail.com

Don't bid on it, it is a scam. "Ask seller a question" cannot be broken.

There are so many scams on eBay on a daily basis, if something looks like a great deal, and it is a motion picture camera, it is probably a scam. If you are unsure, post a link here and one of the many friendly folks on this forum will help you out.

-Tim

Guest Ian Marks

Thanks, Tim, for your complete explanation.

I've been aware of the scam situation on Ebay, but this time, being in a hurry and distracted, I stupidly clicked on the "for more information" link and - like a total doofus - entered my password without thinking. I realized a nano-second later what I had done (I had been "phished") and immediately changed my password. I reported the auction number to Ebay (and I see it's been removed), and left a too-hasty post here.

I can't believe I fell for it, if only for a moment.

• Premium Member
Ebay claims to be concerned with fraud, yet I cannot for the life of me find a link to report this to them.

Can anyone give me the link to report fraud, if there is such a thing?

MP

The one Hal posted is the one I always use. I tried to keep up with it, but I found myself reporting two or three scam auctions a day, and I was only following Arriflex cameras. It just got to be a complete pain in the backside. Now I am limiting myself to auctions someone writes about here, or when someone scams my 16SR pics and text from an auction I had a few months ago (which has happened three times so far since April).

EBay, the den of thieves. :ph34r:

-Tim

PS: Ian, sorry to hear that you got "phished". I have almost gotten caught out a few times when I see something that I really want and the price is low and I'm all excited, and usually a little voice goes off in my head and says, "No way man, don't do it!"

• Premium Member

Here is a good example of the second type of fraudulent auction:

EBay scam camera auction

When you see a listing that says something like what is pictured below, it is a scam. The scammer has hijacked someone's eBay account.

scam.jpg

An easy way to verify this scam is to go to the View seller's other items link on the auction and you will see a list of between fifty and five hundred other high dollar items listed.

Spread the word. Since eBay won't do anything to stop the scammers, the best way to protect folks is to educate them about the scams.

-Tim

and again, from china with love, these two auctions look very similar except the price, I guess it's not to hard to see which one is the real one and which is fake... so watch out

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ECLAIR-ACL-professional...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ECLAIR-ACL-professional...1QQcmdZViewItem

the same guy offers a arri bl1 for around 600$...how can you trust someone that's called "crt56hi" and has no feedback, and never sold anything on ebay before?!?

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt..._Pr3_PcY_BIN_IT

• Premium Member
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZproQ5fapps

Wondering if this is a scam, why keeping the feedback private? The pictures in the camera auction looks familiar but I´m not sure. I´m interested in bidding on some of his stuff but a little scared.

Hans,

That seller has been selling off his Aaton equipment for the last few months. I cannot personally vouch for him or her, but I would be a little more confident in their listing than many of the others. A good way to find out is to use the Ask seller a question link and ask about the item you are interested in.

If he/she responds, then at least you know that it is not a hijacked account, and you can go from there.

-Tim

• Premium Member
Found this old one

So i guess the seller I linked to earlier is trying to pull a scam.

The one thats auctioned now LINK

Changed username and location :)

Hans,

I think the auction you linked to, the "old one" was a scam. That was a new user who had someone hijack their account.

The original seller of that Aaton camera, I do believe, is the "pro_apps" seller. He was selling the entire package a number of months ago and it did not sell. Then he split the package up and has been selling it off piece at a time. Many scammers copied his pictures from the original auction months ago and have been re-listing part or all of it.

Again, try contacting the seller through the ask seller link and see what he says. The other thing that has worked for me in the past is to phrase the question to the seller as such, "Hi, I am going to be in your area on business the day after tomorrow, would it be okay if I came by and had a look at the (whatever the auction is for)?" If they are legit, they will usually invite you to come by and look at whatever it is they are auctioning. Scammers will obviously not agree to having you visit.

-Tim

Guest david west

the latest scam, as mentioned above, involves the scammer hacking(or phishing) ebay passwords from users with good feedback.

they then put on a one day auction with 50 or more items all starting at 99 dollars, or some value that is the same for every auction.

then they say " email me at blah@xxxxxxx.com" to buy right now.......

WE SHOULD ALL EMAIL THEM AND PRETEND TO BE INTERESTED!!!

If enough people just pretended to be interested then we could put them out of business just with a flood of email. i am tempted just to start an antiscammer website just to organize a flood of email upon the scammers... anyone interested??

the very latest scam (i know, its been around, but it has gotten really heavy lately) is that anything expensive (over 1000 dollars for example) you will get a flood of second chance offers... nicely html coded, BUT pathetic english skills....

any 2nd chance offers should be double checked thru your "MY EBAY' email page...

good luck,

scam the scammers

i thought i'd add a bit to this

got this email this morning

!!! ATTENTION !!! DO NOT CLICK THE ''RESPOND NOW BUTTON'', CONTACT THE SELLER DIRECTLY AT: noxxa44@aol.com . IF YOU WANT TO PURCHASE THE ITEM.!!!

Congratulations! You have received a Second Chance Offer on the item entitled: '' Eclair NPR 16mm Movie Camera w/accessories '' (item 130008906114) for your last bid price of US $Xamount. Our seller: noxxa44@aol.com made you this offer because the winner of the auction is unable to complete this transaction at this time. This transaction will be made through eBay and will be supervised and protected by the eBay Safe Harbor Team with the new Buyer Protection Program offered by eBay. Transactions with this eBay seller are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description error.

!!!ATTENTION: IF YOU ACCEPT THIS SECOND CHANCE OFFER PLEASE CONTACT THE SELLER DIRECTLY AT: noxxa44@aol.com , DO NOT CLICK THE ''RESPOND NOW BUTTON'' !!!

it wasn't even the orginal seller that sent it :rolleyes:

Guest david west
Hi,

If the account has been hijacked, 2nd chance offers in 'my ebay' will also be scams!

Stephen

Doooohhhhhh.... good point Stephen!

If enough people just pretended to be interested then we could put them out of business just with a flood of email. i am tempted just to start an antiscammer website just to organize a flood of email upon the scammers... anyone interested??

I

• Premium Member

You wouldn't need a flood. It would be simple matter to overload their 2Mb inbox @yahoo, hotmail, whatever, with a big email or two. You know it's full when your emails start bouncing back. All enquiries from suckers would bounce until it's emptied.

I like the ones from ebay or even large banks that ask you to log in and verify account info or on ebay that say to log into ebay for a second chance offer, both of them look like the companies letter and even the pages that you go to after you click on the links look like the pages but you can see in the address bar that its not the real hosts page (ie http://233.34.535/E.asp?43985239845920384590283 ).

I assume that every one checks for that stuff now, there will never be a reason for a secure server to be anything but https://www..... so be on the look out.

Guest Ian Marks
You wouldn't need a flood. It would be simple matter to overload their 2Mb inbox @yahoo, hotmail, whatever, with a big email or two. You know it's full when your emails start bouncing back. All enquiries from suckers would bounce until it's emptied.

I think this is a great idea. I suppose you could attach some high-rez photos too, right? I think with my hotmail account I can attach files totalling 5 megs. Maybe just send the same big image files over and over?

Ordinarily I don't advocate this kind of thing, but these people are complete criminals. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about money, because a distant relative I didn't even know I had in was recently killed in a traffic accident in Africa, and a nice Nigerian gentleman has offered to help me "liberate" the millions of dollars he left in an account there. I know I can trust him...

Edited to fix a typo.

Edited by Ian Marks

i thought i'd add a bit to this

got this email this morning

it wasn't even the orginal seller that sent it :rolleyes:

About a year ago, I got the exact same "2nd Chance" offer. Coincidently, it was also for an Eclair NPR.