Capturing DV using camera

Vinod Raja

Friends , I have filmed about ninety mini Dv tapes on my Panasonic 102A( 100A)over the past one and a half years, logged the shots and prepared a batch list . On trying to capture the batch list , the final cut pro showed repeated time code errors and capturing stopped . I tried using a DSR11 and changed over to try a DSR 45P, no luck. Finally i lined up the Panasonic camera for capture and it seamlessly , effortlessly went through. In the light of this experience I Wish to pose two question to the forum

# why does this happen when the SMPTE time code is a standard feature

# is it alright and safe to use the panasonic 102 A camera to trasfer more than 200 mini Dv tapes into the computer

seeking your experience

Thanks best vinod

I wonder if your capture problem is as simple as dirty heads? Did you clean the heads of the DSRs before capturing? Sorry to pose such an obvious question.

As for using your 102A for capturing, it shouldn't be a problem. It will just add wear and tear to the camera (more hours on the heads). You might also need to clean the heads during the process.

I wonder if you had timecode breaks in the tape. If the pre-roll is set to 3 seconds, but the capture point is 2 seconds after the last timecode change, the computer will obviously get confused as soon as it hits the timecode break. Some cameras log these timecode breaks and are able to compensate for them. This may not be the problem, but it is certainly something to check.

As for the saftey of running 200 tapes, its about as safe as recording 200 tapes. Its just extra wear and tear. I have always used timecode splitting capture, where the camera plays from start to stop, and the software automatically captures every peice of video and seperates different scenes by detecting jumps in time/date. That way the cameara isn't constantly pre-rolling and re-racking once the capture is done. In 1-10 tapes its not a big deal, in 200 tapes with that extra stop, re-rack procedure can put a lot of strain on a very small and delecate tape movement mechanism.

I have always used timecode splitting capture, where the camera plays from start to stop, and the software automatically captures every peice of video and seperates different scenes by detecting jumps in time/date.

are you talking about the date and time in the User-bit, and the software detecting it? is there such a function in FCP? or do you need the sony dvcam-tapes with the chip?