why the mild shake?!

Guest rajavel

Guest rajavel

hi all

one of the shots in a scene in my recently shot feature film.....has a mild shake....meaning ...

a repetitive up and down movement of the image on the film.....i feel there might have been

a problem in the camera at the time of exposing that scene.....what could it be??

is it pin register problem or what??? anyone ..please explain in detail.

camera - Arri 3, shot at 24 fps, normal shutter, day scene.

format - anamorphic , lens-cineovision 24 mm

thanks

cheers!

• Premium Member

That sounds like either a problem of the camera or of the post production (telecine or print).

On a side note, I have heard of but never seen these anamorphic Cineovision lenses. As far as I gather they are Japanese. Would you have any more details, like focal lenghts, weight and stop, as well as how they compare to other anamorphic lenses?

• Premium Member
hi all

one of the shots in a scene in my recently shot feature film.....has a mild shake....meaning ...

a repetitive up and down movement of the image on the film.....i feel there might have been

a problem in the camera at the time of exposing that scene.....what could it be??

is it pin register problem or what??? anyone ..please explain in detail.

camera - Arri 3, shot at 24 fps, normal shutter, day scene.

format - anamorphic , lens-cineovision 24 mm

thanks

cheers!

Hi,

You need to do a double exposure steady test with the camera. Remenber the Arri III has only 1 registration pin and won't be as steady as a camera with dual pins.

Stephen

That sounds like either a problem of the camera or of the post production (telecine or print).

On a side note, I have heard of but never seen these anamorphic Cineovision lenses. As far as I gather they are Japanese. Would you have any more details, like focal lenghts, weight and stop, as well as how they compare to other anamorphic lenses?

funny you said that, a japanese dop i worked with two days ago told me about them...i did a google and i found this. apparently theyre not longer being manufactured

http://www.cineused.com/Anamorphic1.htm

hope it helps

sorry,

its a long page and i forgot to mention that the part about the lenses is in the middle...i just past it here, there is not much to read anyway

"Cineovision 2.35 (Japanese) Anamorphic prime lenses. No longer manufactured. PL mount. Excellent quality. In the last 10 years, I have seen one set sold used. The buyer bought them for the glass and had the mechanic's and barreling reworked. The new prices are... 24mm T 1.4, $ 32,000. 32mm T 1.4, $ 25,000. 40mm T 1.4, $ 25,000. 50mm T 1.4, $ 25,000. 100mm T 2.6, $ 25,000."

This can be fixed pretty easily just so you know. We have had to do this in the past at my company, but we rent cameras and use various telecine places, so for us it was not worth looking into 'how it happened', but if this is your cam, you might have a problem

• 1 month later...

Hi... Yes, we used the Cineovision lenses on Carmichael. We used them for their cold and stark yet slightly soft look - what one might call a "70s look". The main problem with the lenses is that you get some slight vinguetting, with a loss of focus around the edges under certain lighting conditions.