lightning thru a window

hi' im about to film a short movie next week which basicaly takes place in one aprtmant. the most dramtic scene is a guy standing in front of a canvas painting' behind him is a big window the camra is in motion rowards him from his back in slow dolly movment until it discovers whats on the canas. my q is' i would like to light up the room using the background window which will poor the light in on the guy', i have some quats 800 and one 2000 which i can wrap with blue gel, the thing is that i want to achive some kind of a blue fill or beem that will fall on the person' any sugastions?

thanx

roy

hi' im about to film a short movie next week which basicaly takes place in one aprtmant. the most dramtic scene is a guy standing in front of a canvas painting' behind him is a big window the camra is in motion rowards him from his back in slow dolly movment until it discovers whats on the canas. my q is' i would like to light up the room using the background window which will poor the light in on the guy', i have some quats 800 and one 2000 which i can wrap with blue gel, the thing is that i want to achive some kind of a blue fill or beem that will fall on the person' any sugastions?

thanx

roy

hi roy . first you didnt wrote about the format you going to work with . the direction of the window (n,e,s,w)

is very important too, is your camera is much sensitiv to hald with strong outdoor bounce light and a small hase machine ? could work nice , the price is over exp in the window when you soot it directly..

good luck.

Come on guys! Use a spelling and grammar checker! You are making it harder for the people on this forum to help you if we have difficulty understanding what you are talking about. IMHO, clear, concise verbal communication is as important as knowing what gel is what. Precisely being on the same page as the rest of the production is the key no matter if it is an indy short or the next "James Bond"

Good habits start early.

Come on guys! Use a spelling and grammar checker! You are making it harder for the people on this forum to help you if we have difficulty understanding what you are talking about. IMHO, clear, concise verbal communication is as important as knowing what gel is what. Precisely being on the same page as the rest of the production is the key no matter if it is an indy short or the next "James Bond"

Good habits start early.

well i hope you will accept my poor english now- im realy doing my best here!

as foryour rply i would like to know what u didnt understand there

roy

p.s i wll use a dv camera probably the sony dsr 450 hoping to "catch" pooring light from a window

roy

• Premium Member
i have some quats 800 and one 2000 which i can wrap with blue gel, the thing is that i want to achive some kind of a blue fill or beem that will fall on the person' any sugastions?

What's a "quats"?

You want a light that is bluer than even 5500K so that it reads as a blue beam against a daylight background? Or were you going to first gel the window to 3200K?

What's a "quats"?

You want a light that is bluer than even 5500K so that it reads as a blue beam against a daylight background? Or were you going to first gel the window to 3200K?

hello david

thank you for your remark. yes i would love to catch a blue beem against a day light. altough the thought of geling the window is a nice thought' can u tell me more about it? what do i achive in each one of the cases?

thanx

roy

• Premium Member
hello david

thank you for your remark. yes i would love to catch a blue beem against a day light. altough the thought of geling the window is a nice thought' can u tell me more about it? what do i achive in each one of the cases?

thanx

roy

First off tell me what a "quats" is.

I remember reading this in the beginning and feeling ignorant for not knowing what a quats was. :P

(2) 800w and (1) 2kw are pretty small lights to work with for the effect you are going for. I remember a thread about using a 2.5k HMI being barely able to do this effect.

Also are you ground floor? I did this sort of effect for on a second floor house and it took a lot of rigging.

• Premium Member

Wanting to create a blue beam of light with small tungsten lights in a daylight room is the worst combination of elements, because you have to already do something just to get the lights as blue as the daylight or the daylight as orange as the lights, just to balance them -- to go even bluer than that is even harder, you'll lose too much light out of the tungsten.

You really need to start out with an HMI. Then you can either gel it blue, or gel the windows with Full CTO / Sun85. Either way, then the HMI would be bluer than the daylight.