Accessories for HVX 200

PeterJacobsen

I am almost ready to buy an HVX 200 that I will be using to shoot a very low budget feature length film in Hawaii. I'll be shooting mostly outdoors in the daytime, and I'd like to get some advice on the accessories that would make a big difference in terms of image quality and practicality while shooting. At most, I'm willing to spend an additional $5,000 over the cost of the camera. I am a still photographer who is new to filmmaking, so my technical knowledge is fairly limited when it comes to video cameras. I know that I will need at least 2 4GB P2 cards, a good tripod and some battery packs. I have also been looking at the accessories available from Red Rock Micro, http://www.redrockmicro.com , and I would be interested in getting some advice about their products. Thanks!

I am almost ready to buy an HVX 200 that I will be using to shoot a very low budget feature length film in Hawaii. I'll be shooting mostly outdoors in the daytime, and I'd like to get some advice on the accessories that would make a big difference in terms of image quality and practicality while shooting. At most, I'm willing to spend an additional $5,000 over the cost of the camera. I am a still photographer who is new to filmmaking, so my technical knowledge is fairly limited when it comes to video cameras. I know that I will need at least 2 4GB P2 cards, a good tripod and some battery packs. I have also been looking at the accessories available from Red Rock Micro, http://www.redrockmicro.com , and I would be interested in getting some advice about their products. Thanks!

You're going to need more than 2 4gig cards for sure (rent or buy) 2 8 gig cards get you about 17 min. @ 720p so then you need to wait to download them to laptop or P2 store. This will slow you down significantly and can cause a break in the shoots flow.

I shot a 3 day doc and was constantly downloading-not a fast process. I had 5 8 gig cards and 1 4 gig and 2-60 gig p2 stores and I could barely keep up. granted it was just myself, but then you have to have complete faith if you choose to have an "AC" dump the stuff. P2 Genie and P2 log (google it) is amazing at streamlining this process and for 33 and 99 USD. You'll need some large and fast drives to dump you're gigantic files to and a laptop. I would seriously look into the workflow before jumping in like I did. The whole thing is an orginizational nightmare. Many people in PDX are shooting HVX, but no one at the camera rental houses or post houses was any help when it came to troubleshooting. EXAMPLE-If you are on a Mac you must hit a three button combo to allow a P2 store to format to Mac. THIS IS NOT COVERED IN PANASONIC'S MANUAL!

Look at some of the Wide Angle adaptors that Century offers (around a grand)

I'd say TEST as much as you can. It gives gorgeous images but also sharp pains in the chest when you go to reformat the cards and drives to reuse. Good Luck

The number of cards you require depends on the project - for a doc you need more continous space. However, for a feature at 720 2 4gig cards is perfect - that is like having 2 reels of 10 minutes each. Just remember you need someone to offload - if you have that then you will rarely if ever need to wait for a card when shooting a narrative.

But overall - test you workflow before you are on set and test with the people who will be doing it.

I just shot a feature with 2 4 gig cards - no issues and we shot over 250 cards worth in 2 months.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paul Wizikowski

Well there is always some of the more obvious things like Sticks, Mattebox, filters. But I immediately wonder whats the weather like this time of year. Would it require rain gear?

Do you have extra batteries?

As for the P2 card situation. I wouldn't like the idea of heading with just enough card space to get by. Heaven forbid one goes down. Besides 4min of record time (per card at DVCPro HD non-native recording) seems like too little. I'm not saying it can't be done but that just seems like it would be an obvious potential headache. One that is avoidable.

• 11 months later...
  • Premium Member
-If you are on a Mac you must hit a three button combo to allow a P2 store to format to Mac. THIS IS NOT COVERED IN PANASONIC'S MANUAL!

Okay. so what's the 3 button combo??

I have a R70p-HDA LCD monitor from marshall and its very nice. Also think of getting a petrol soft case for it, it works nice and it comes with its own hood, if you dont want to use it on board.

Debob has a very nice follow focus i've been willing to get, It looks very interesting.

Think of the 8gb cards instead of the 4gb, and three of them, i found out, work out very niceley on any workflow.

good luck

joão

• 2 weeks later...