Color Calibrating a Plasma Monitor

Tom Banks

Hey Guys,

I am about to start color timing a short shot on HDV. We are using the basic color correction effects found on an Avid Adrenalline/Media Composer. The problem is that the only monitor that plays an HD signal from this system is a 50" Plasma HD that I know is not color accurate.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could go about calibrating this monitor? The best way I can think of so far is to open up a SD project and match the Plasma monitor to a field monitor (that only plays SD signal) and match the Plasma to the field monitor by eye.

Thanks guys,

Tom

• Premium Member
Hey Guys,

I am about to start color timing a short shot on HDV. We are using the basic color correction effects found on an Avid Adrenalline/Media Composer. The problem is that the only monitor that plays an HD signal from this system is a 50" Plasma HD that I know is not color accurate.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could go about calibrating this monitor? The best way I can think of so far is to open up a SD project and match the Plasma monitor to a field monitor (that only plays SD signal) and match the Plasma to the field monitor by eye.

Thanks guys,

Tom

Not sure if the Kodak Display Manager System has LUTs for Plasma displays:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....4.24&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...24.10&lc=en

KODAK Display Manager System V4.1 Includes:

An easy-to-use way to display an accurate simulation of a projected print film or video image as it will appear on broadcast monitors.

Enables a consistent view across all displays in a facility by calibrating, characterizing, and transforming print density to device-specific code values?making for more effective collaboration between labs and post houses.

Expanded 3D LUTs allow you to calibrate computer monitors, SD/HD displays, and digital projectors.

The manual calibration assistant walks you through adjusting displays that cannot be auto-calibrated.

Digital Projection package formats 3D LUT formatted for TI projectors?enabling accurate digital viewing and grading.

Improved perceptual match between out-of-gamut colors on screen and the final print film.

Includes an advanced gamut alert function to display the colors that are outside of the display device gamut, but are reproducible on film.

KODAK Display Manager System is an integral part of the KODAK Look Manager System and simulates the KODAK Film stocks selected.

Improved system compatibility, now including LINUX 2.6.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...24.20&lc=en Contacts

• Premium Member

You might want to give David Reynaga in our service department a call. He knows that stuff up and down and should be able to get you started in the right direction.

Our NYC office offers pretty indepth monitor callibration with an array of probes, gadgets and wizardy, but our LA office doesn't yet.

Me? I can't even get my two monitors are home to match, let alone be accurate!