under expouse scene

Xavier Plaza

hello everyone, a week ago I shoot a romantic scenes with the Sony HVR-A1U, my settings was T2.4, shutter 60, Gain +3db. Today my editor show me the scene and I was extremely surprise because the scenes looks under expouse, probably 1 ½ stop? my question is: is there any kind of ?compression or lost stops? between the image I saw in the LCD and the monitor (calibrate) in relation with the image the camera shoot????, I hope someone help me with this unusual & unexpected experience?

thanks

xavier plaza

director of photography

• 2 weeks later...

how was the monitor calibrated? using bars from the camera? if not there's always the chance of error whenever d/a conversion is going on. shouldn't be as much as several "stops" though. also how was the footage transferred to the computer? and how did you watch it? was that monitor also calibrated? make sure you always record bars on each tape and you can easily check for these things later.

/matt

• 4 months later...
how was the monitor calibrated? using bars from the camera? if not there's always the chance of error whenever d/a conversion is going on. shouldn't be as much as several "stops" though. also how was the footage transferred to the computer? and how did you watch it? was that monitor also calibrated? make sure you always record bars on each tape and you can easily check for these things later.

/matt

The LCD is supposed to show brighter images, that is, you see things lighter than how they are truly recorded. I always use zebra as a reference for correct exposure, thus assuring myself that what I record is exposed just as I want it to be. Maybe using zebra will help you?

hello everyone, a week ago I shoot a romantic scenes with the Sony HVR-A1U, my settings was T2.4, shutter 60, Gain +3db. Today my editor show me the scene and I was extremely surprise because the scenes looks under expouse, probably 1 ½ stop… my question is: is there any kind of “compression or lost stops” between the image I saw in the LCD and the monitor (calibrate) in relation with the image the camera shoot????, I hope someone help me with this unusual & unexpected experience…

thanks

xavier plaza

director of photography

Yes,

if you use only your camera's LCD for reference, without checking how camera interprets real values, (usually trough zebras on skin tones or on grey cards) then what you see is the difference between your camera's LCD and a properly calibrated production monitor.

On the other hand, maybe your editor's monitor is not a proper production monitor, and maybe that is where the dark image comes from.

Depending what editing program you're using, you might be able to look at the scene through a vectroscope and other scopes, which will give you an exact picture of how you exposed the scene...

george

Edited by George Lekovic