SIGN YOUR POSTS

• Premium Member

We have a number of people here who are still either not registered under their first/last names or not signing the posts with one (either is OK.)

People like: androbot2084, ShootStr8, RRZ, Capt. Video

And we have people using one name only, or confusing names like: kantor, tshaka, danielito, dgoulder, bellizzi

Please use your first and last names, either in the signature file, or under the User Name.

I thought last month Tim was requiring everyone update their User Name to be first/last names.

• Premium Member
hi,

sorry for not following protocol, will make adjustments

peter kantor

I.A.T.S.E. Local 52 studio mechanics

Thanks, Peter. It's easy to create an automatic signature file in your user profile so you don't have to type it.

• 5 weeks later...
We have a number of people here who are still either not registered under their first/last names or not signing the posts with one (either is OK.)

People like: androbot2084, ShootStr8, RRZ, Capt. Video

And we have people using one name only, or confusing names like: kantor, tshaka, danielito, dgoulder, bellizzi

Please use your first and last names, either in the signature file, or under the User Name.

I don't expect you to remember working with me David but I would prefer that you be less critical of my name.

Tshaka with a capital "T" is my name. It is the name you can address me by along with everyone else.

There is nothing confusing about it. Co-workers, clients friends and family call me Tshaka because that is my name.

Certainly it is not a common name but you are educated and savvy enough to recognize a name that is not of English, German or Biblical origin.

You told me your first name once and although I don't remember it I do remember it was not a common name. I did not find it confusing at all.

Tshaka

• Premium Member

I didn't mean to say that your name in particular was confusing, just that you need to add a family name if that's your first name. The only confusion in this case is whether it is a first or last name. And yes, "Merritt" is my first name, "David" is my middle name.

What we are asking for is a surname (family name) and "forename" (birth name, first name, "Christian" name, whatever you call it) -- TWO NAMES. I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand. I wasn't trying to make fun of your name or anything; I suspected it was a legitimate name, only that it was incomplete. I was more referring to "dgoulder" as a confusing single name.

I don't expect you to remember working with me David but I would prefer that you be less critical of my name.

Tshaka with a capital "T" is my name. It is the name you can address me by along with everyone else.

There is nothing confusing about it. Co-workers, clients friends and family call me Tshaka because that is my name.

Certainly it is not a common name but you are educated and savvy enough to recognize a name that is not of English, German or Biblical origin.

You told me your first name once and although I don't remember it I do remember it was not a common name. I did not find it confusing at all.

Tshaka

Tshaka is a well known grip in the NYC area...

And he only recognized by that one name...

Everyone knows who we're talking about when that name pops out

No-one I've heard speak of him ever uses his last name...

There are many folks out here in the East Coast that go by one name

So sometime we have to be aware that everyone isn't a normal first and last name kinda person.

Co-workers, clients friends and family call me Tshaka because that is my name.

Is that what payroll knows you by?

No offense, but when I remove an account because the display name does not appear accurate it's nothing personal. There's no way I can know everybody who prefers to be represented by a single name. This is an international community (not just the NY area) and it's very likely that there are other Tshaka's out there.

The 'full name' rule is one of the few real rules this forum has. The forum has a whole new feeling now in my opinion. I log in and see the names of real people, some I recognize and some I don't, but it all feels like a real group of people, not a bunch of internet aliases. I think it elevates this environment to a new level.

Also, it's the Display Name that's important here. David mentioned earlier that the signature OR the display name must be a full name, but it's just the Display Name that counts.

Tshaka is a well known grip in the NYC area...

I have lived in the NYC area for my whole life and have been working in film since 1988 and I have never heard of him myself.

So he may be well known is some circles but not others.

best

Tim

Tim, you're probably the nicest admin on the whole friggin internet. Most would've dropped these folks by now.

But sometimes the simple rules are the hardest to follow for some people.....

This is a very open forum, free speech, the whole deal. So enough of the rationalizations...Just follow the rules.

I wanna be called "Neck-Bone" but I can't. This sometimes gets to me, it makes me sad. But then I realize there are rules for reasons... :lol:

Why not make up a real sounding fake name? I could call myself Conrad Hall and start a thread about the reasons why Jesus loves Snakes on a Plane.

I guess I could put down my name as Jesus Christ, as long as I have a signature, and talk about Cool Hand Luke.

I'm not sure where I am going with this, but you can still protect your precious anonymity and follow the rules. Call yourself John Smith or something.

Maybe my real name isn't Patrick McGowan...

Maybe I'm not a douchebag...

You'll never know.

I could be the phantom gourmet...

I could be high right now.

You'll never know!

You'll never find me Capt. Video! Because we both have anonymity!

Edited by Patrick S. McGowan

• Premium Member

I don't understand why people wouldn't want to be known by their real name on here. This site has some serious potential for networking so I would think it advantageous to use your real name. Otherwise, so and so director may not offer you that nice DP job if you are messing around. It just makes the site more professional.

Is that what payroll knows you by?

You don't pay my fees Tim.

No offense, but when I remove an account because the display name does not appear accurate it's nothing personal. There's no way I can know everybody who prefers to be represented by a single name. This is an international community (not just the NY area) and it's very likely that there are other Tshaka's out there.

No offense taken. Tim you don't even know everybody represented by a full name. It's very likely that there are other Tim Tyler's out there. I replied to your earlier email sent directly to my account. I'll post that reply here so that the other members can see.

The 'full name' rule is one of the few real rules this forum has. The forum has a whole new feeling now in my opinion. I log in and see the names of real people, some I recognize and some I don't, but it all feels like a real group of people, not a bunch of internet aliases. I think it elevates this environment to a new level.

Agreed.

Also, it's the Display Name that's important here. David mentioned earlier that the signature OR the display name must be a full name, but it's just the Display Name that counts.

In it's most empirical form what is the purpose of that rule? Does my presence in the forum disrupt that purpose?

The following is an email reply sent to Tim Tyler:

Tim if you're ever in New York and you ask within the industry for a grip

named Tshaka you'll find me.

Tshaka is my real name. It is not a nickname or an alias.

I haven't abused the freedom to post my name with clever names like Gotham

Grip or New York Hammer. So why the big push all of a sudden. I've been on

and off of this forum for years. What happened?

Well I'd like to believe that I have been a courteous, responsible member of

this forum with valuable contributions to discussion particularly in the

area of Grip.

If you feel you have to boot me off then I respect your decision. It is

your forum after all.

It's a shame because just as you finally got around to including a Grip

section you also felt it necessary to rub me off the roster.

I've worked with David Mullen before on a couple of jobs whether he

remembers Tshaka or not is another story.

I'm the real deal. A professional New York grip with a shared interest in

cinematography and love for storytelling, photographs and movies.

Cheers

Tshaka

> From: "Cinematography.com" <info@cinematography.com>

> Date: 1 Sep 2006 10:05:43 -0700

> Subject: Full Real Names in the Forum ( Cinematography.com )

>

> Tshaka,

>

> Please make sure your forum display name is your full real name.

>

> The required format is your first name followed by a space followed by your

> last name. Please capitalize the first letter of each.

>

> Accounts that do not comply will be removed and cannot be re-activated.

>

> Thanks.

>

> Tim Tyler

• Premium Member

With several thousands of users, I hope you realize that it is not feasable for Tim to start judging on a case by case basis whether someone should be allowed to post under a single name or not. Not to even mention the people who'd start complaining if he allowed someone else that right and not them.