Can a Angenieux 25 - 250 be used on Super 16?

Matt Frank

I have an Angenieux 25 - 250 lens that I have been using on a IIC With a Beyonet mount. Would it be possible to change it to PL mount and use it on an Aaton LTR7 which is Super 16 Modified? I know it would nearly double the focal length if it works at all.

Also we have a support mount for the lens which attaches to the rods on a baseplate, but with base plate an LTR7 does not sit in the center. Would a 16mm Baseplate do the trick for using the lens support mount?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Frank

• Premium Member
I have an Angenieux 25 - 250 lens that I have been using on a IIC With a Beyonet mount. Would it be possible to change it to PL mount and use it on an Aaton LTR7 which is Super 16 Modified? I know it would nearly double the focal length if it works at all.

Also we have a support mount for the lens which attaches to the rods on a baseplate, but with base plate an LTR7 does not sit in the center. Would a 16mm Baseplate do the trick for using the lens support mount?

Thanks in advance.

Matt Frank

Hi,

If its the old style the lens is not good enough for S16 IMHO. It can be converted to PL, but that will cost about the same as the lens is worth.

The focal lengths will remain 25-250. You would have to fabricate a support, the lens is not that heavy just long.

Stephen

Hi,

If its the old style the lens is not good enough for S16 IMHO. It can be converted to PL, but that will cost about the same as the lens is worth.

The focal lengths will remain 25-250. You would have to fabricate a support, the lens is not that heavy just long.

Stephen

Can you explain why the focal length would remain 25 - 250 when used on a Super16 rather than a 35mm?

Thanks,

Matt Frank

• Premium Member
Can you explain why the focal length would remain 25 - 250 when used on a Super16 rather than a 35mm?

The lens itself has no idea what (if anything) it is focusing an image on, so no mater if it is mounted on a super 8 or a Vistavison it will have the same focal lengh! If course you have a better chance of covering the full Super 8 Frame!

As you change formats, the focal lengh you need to cover the same area of the real world into a frame will change as what counts are a "full frame will be different.

I don't know WHY this seems like a common misconception.

I think people are confusing focal length with angle of view. Though the focal length will not change, the feild of view will change in relation to the changing target size. So where a 25mm lens is considered wide in a 35mm, a 25mm in 16mm would be about 2times as tight, in terms of angle of view.

I think this is where the confusion comes in. The two terms are used interchangably when in fact they are not the same thing.

I think people are confusing focal length with angle of view. Though the focal length will not change, the feild of view will change in relation to the changing target size. So where a 25mm lens is considered wide in a 35mm, a 25mm in 16mm would be about 2times as tight, in terms of angle of view.

I think this is where the confusion comes in. The two terms are used interchangably when in fact they are not the same thing.

Yeah I guess I was just miss using the terms. I understand what you are saying now.

Thanks very much for clearing that up