My first Super 8 film

Andrew Means

http://www.velella.net/~temp/Anacortes_02%20vid.mov

This film is one roll of K64, no edits, shot in Anacortes, WA with my friends Philip (mopping guy), Sylvia (arm swinging girl) and Michael (piano guy).

My band had played a show the night before and we had an afternoon just chilling and so we shot this film. We kind of wrote it as we went along, I was like "okay, Phil, you start mopping." And we went from there.

We shot it on K64 without (I think) the appropriate filter, so it's a little blue. We had it telecine'd at GT Recording, this place on Greenwood to mini DV.

Anyway, it was fun, and it makes me super stoked to go to Japan and shoot more. Tomorrow we're going to shoot a roll on my sailboat...

i was quite impressed myself for a first roll. good stuff.

i'm curious to know what camera you used, and also if you used auto exposure or not.

-Nick Norton

Hey Nick-

We shot it on a Nikon R10 that we got for 100 bucks. We used auto exposure for most of it, but some of it we messed with exposing it up or down a stop. Some panning shots we locked the exposure so it didn't go all crazy on us.

I'm curious what everybody thinks of the telecine job. Seeing as how this is my first transfer I don't know how well they did. I think they used a sniper setup, as they transfered it to miniDV. We shot it at 18fps (except the 54fps slo-mo parts), and honestly I'm not sure what the framerate is now, heh, if they upped it to 24 or 20 or what.

Upon reading the R10 manual more, it seems that the daylight filter always on unles we displace it with this key type thing- but ours doesn't have a key, it just has the slot with a little plastic plug in it. So did we shoot with the filter in after all? It certainly looks rather blue...

• Premium Member
Hey Nick-

We shot it on a Nikon R10 that we got for 100 bucks. We used auto exposure for most of it, but some of it we messed with exposing it up or down a stop. Some panning shots we locked the exposure so it didn't go all crazy on us.

I'm curious what everybody thinks of the telecine job. Seeing as how this is my first transfer I don't know how well they did. I think they used a sniper setup, as they transfered it to miniDV. We shot it at 18fps (except the 54fps slo-mo parts), and honestly I'm not sure what the framerate is now, heh, if they upped it to 24 or 20 or what.

Upon reading the R10 manual more, it seems that the daylight filter always on unles we displace it with this key type thing- but ours doesn't have a key, it just has the slot with a little plastic plug in it. So did we shoot with the filter in after all? It certainly looks rather blue...

best to lock down the exposure when panning for sure.

It's tough to evaluate the telecine on these compressed .mov presentations, but it is really blue. It looks like you shot it without the daylight filter, but the daylight filter has to be displaced with the slot key (or an old credit card cut to fit) Maybe your filter is stuck out.

Who made the transfer?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Super imaginative - I wish I had more stuff like this on film with my friends and I from a few years ago when we all had a little more time - unfortunately all that was done on mid-nineties poop-eo and the quality has degraded much since then.

Any word when we might see this elusive exclusive Japan footage?

(as a side note, I have a friend doing the JET program in Japan, and, though not film, he's been doing a fairly regular video journal of it - pretty neat: www.myspace.com/matthixson)

Erik

Super imaginative - I wish I had more stuff like this on film with my friends and I from a few years ago when we all had a little more time - unfortunately all that was done on mid-nineties poop-eo and the quality has degraded much since then.

Any word when we might see this elusive exclusive Japan footage?

(as a side note, I have a friend doing the JET program in Japan, and, though not film, he's been doing a fairly regular video journal of it - pretty neat: www.myspace.com/matthixson)

Erik

The Japan footage is being telecine'd right now - I haven't even seen it! When I get it back you folks will be the first ones to see it!

I'm impressed! It's stunning how you succed to capture my interest and a want to see the conslusion in a film that revolves around people having fun and running; i.e. without a actual story or message. A little bit overexposed here and there but the camerawork is top notch. You have a talent for visual storytelling!