shutter speed on XL1

Donavan Sell

i have to shoot with a XL1 and i am really not familar with video cameras, what is a good shutter spd for normal day ext. I dont really understand the shutter speed on video cameras. Any reference toward motion picture cameras would be helpful. thanks

• Premium Member

Hi,

"Normal" for a video camera in NTSC would be 1/60, equivalent to a 180 degree shutter. Think about it: 30fps, 50% duty cycle.... 1/60th. On PAL cameras, it's 1/50th. Faster shutter speeds simulate proportionally smaller shutter angles. It's pretty much exactly the same effect, but there are a couple of things to look out for. Some CCDs have a greater tendency to produce vertical streaks around hilights when you're shooting with a high shutter speed, and if you are shooting an interlaced format which will eventually be deinterlaced, bear in mind that if you shoot a very short shutter speed you may end up with doubling of fast-moving objects as the deinterlacer sees one object as a double image, without motion blur.

Phil

"Normal" for a video camera in NTSC would be 1/60, equivalent to a 180 degree shutter. Think about it: 30fps, 50% duty cycle.... 1/60th.

Technically, yes, 30fps at 1/60th = 180 degree, but what about the whole interlacing deal?

You have 30 frames in a second, but 60 times motion is sampled - thus, 1/60th would be "no shutter."

Of course, deinterlace, then it becomes 180 degrees...

I usually try to shoot these mini dvs at 60th of second. It looks most natural. If you leave it on auto often your shutter speeds will shoot up to 500 and the action will be very jumpy. One of the dangers of shooting at 60th is your f-stops will quickly shoot up to f16 revealing all the dirt on the front of your lens.

Bob

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

All of these replies so far are correct but one thing I wanted to add about the XL1 is that the lens focus is so soft I would suggest a minimum of 75 shutter speed. It tends to tighten up the focus on this camera. And anything shot over 250 shutter speed will give you that "poppy" video look.