Ground Glass

Stephen Whitehead

Hey is it possible to get a ground glass for a konvas 1m, academy aperture, that has 1.85 markings? does anyone make those, or can anyone print onto my exisiting ground glass?

Konvas-1, Konvas-1M, Konvas-2M ( except of last rare edition ) have irremovable ground glass.

This is prism with ground glass on one side.

Yes, the set marks of 1.85 on your ground glass possible to mark, but, this must do camera technician, because, will need take to pieces of body of camera, take away prism, to set marks, set prism and re-adjust of position of ground glass, mirror disk and other.

The position of ground glass very important, because, influence on sharpness image on film.

the position of ground glass must have high precision +/- 0.01 mm.

The prism have body and this body connect with plate of mechanism by pins, but, the procedure of checking of flange focal distance and position of mirror disk need to do.

Konvas-1, Konvas-1M, Konvas-2M ( except of last rare edition ) have irremovable ground glass.

This is prism with ground glass on one side.

Yes, the set marks of 1.85 on your ground glass possible to mark, but, this must do camera technician, because, will need take to pieces of body of camera, take away prism, to set marks, set prism and re-adjust of position of ground glass, mirror disk and other.

The position of ground glass very important, because, influence on sharpness image on film.

the position of ground glass must have high precision +/- 0.01 mm.

The prism have body and this body connect with plate of mechanism by pins, but, the procedure of checking of flange focal distance and position of mirror disk need to do.

Do you know anyone who does this? and how much that might cost?

• Premium Member

Hi, Stephen,

I do this kind of thing regularly as well (on Russian, French and German cameras). Olex is right on about all the things you have to be careful about. If you'd like to find out more, you can email me at bernie@super16inc.com

Cheers,

Bernie O'Doherty

Kan you do this kind of markings on the prism of Kinor-16 CX-2M?

Kinor-16 camera have ground glass with mat surface from one side and spherical surface from other side.

What marks you need on ground glass of Kinor-16 camera ?

Kinor-16 ground glass ( 16SX-01.173 ) have:

- metal mask with size (16SX-01.174) 11.1 x 7.7 mm ( you see outside surface of film gate )

- border of " academy 16 " film gate with size 10.1x7.45 mm,

- border of tele-cine frame 8.4x 6.3 mm ( important part of picture )

The full size of ground glass 13.6 x 8.5 mm

Kinor-16 camera have ground glass with mat surface from one side and spherical surface from other side.

What marks you need on ground glass of Kinor-16 camera ?

Kinor-16 ground glass ( 16SX-01.173 ) have:

- metal mask with size (16SX-01.174) 11.1 x 7.7 mm ( you see outside surface of film gate )

- border of " academy 16 " film gate with size 10.1x7.45 mm,

- border of tele-cine frame 8.4x 6.3 mm ( important part of picture )

The full size of ground glass 13.6 x 8.5 mm

Thank's for the valuable information Olex! I was wondering what the different marks in the wiever were about.

I was thinking about makings in the 1.78:1 (16:9) format.

Thank's for the valuable information Olex! I was wondering what the different marks in the wiever were about.

I was thinking about makings in the 1.78:1 (16:9) format.

The ground glass of Kinor-16 have small size and will need special tools for to make marks.

From other side,the ground glass have many borders and new marks can confuse.

I draft of original ground glass of Kinor-16 camera and set marks of 1.78:1 ( 10.1 x 5.67 mm )

You can see, the new marks set near border of important part of picture.

I think, you can use this border for 1.78:1 format.

Other idea, use other new ground glass with border of 1.78:1.

But, i don't know where possible buy a new ground glass.

I draft of original ground glass of Kinor-16 camera and set marks of 1.78:1 ( 10.1 x 5.67 mm )

You can see, the new marks set near border of important part of picture.

I think, you can use this border for 1.78:1 format.

O.k. Thank's for the tip! But how about the markings for the "important picture". Wasn't that the border for the telecine-process? If I use that border to frame the 1.78:1 ratio, won't it be lost in the telecine?

O.k. Thank's for the tip! But how about the markings for the "important picture". Wasn't that the border for the telecine-process? If I use that border to frame the 1.78:1 ratio, won't it be lost in the telecine?

Not worry too much.

The marking for the : important picture " use for old style ( 1970..1980 ) telecine transfer.

The russian production standard GOST 19165-73 ( made in 1973 ) show size of picture of Telecine transfer from 16 mm film.

The size of film gate 7.45 x 10.05 mm

The size of Telecine transfer 7.01 x 9.35 mm

The size of " Important pictire " 6.31 x 8.4 mm

The place for text 6.07 x 7.48 mm.

Today, the many telecine equipment can use film gate with any type.

You can transfer full size of film gate 7.45 x 10.1 mm and cut 1.78:1 picture at computer post production.

But, you can cut any part from full film gate and choose better composition of picture.

Any case, you can use border of " important picture " (on vertical size) on ground glass for create of better composition of picture on 1.78:1 ratio at shooting.