Sony DXC537 - Highlight flare / Edge tear

Michael McIntyre

• Premium Member

DXC 537 showing flaring end edge tears on bright objects (see attached). Highlights / edges flare to the right. Stills don't do it service as they literally dance along edges during playback.

Issue will be addressed by a tech soon. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has seen this on older cameras and if I might be over-worrying about capacitors getting weird. I realize it could be the record heads too (older PVV-1A) but it's so light-specific that I can't be sure.

Beyond this simple yard test, I have re-tested with varying tape stock, playback decks and lighting. Soft, flat light and everything sings. Colors pop like it was a newer head. The deck has the occassional dropout / hit to be expected from its age.

Add one hot spot or hard, contrasty edge and it just rips to the right with little lines zipping along. Take a look and let me know if you've seen or had to have this repaired. This will be handled by a Sony tech and I wanted to have a better idea before handing it off.

I'd like to see more life out of this camera so I'm doing some research. Plenty more frame-grabs if these aren't clear or representative enough. Thanks.....

Any and all input appreciated..... post-12809-1155463707.jpgpost-12809-1155463335.jpgpost-12809-1155463266.jpgpost-12809-1155463247.jpg

DXC 537 showing flaring end edge tears on bright objects (see attached). Highlights / edges flare to the right. Stills don't do it service as they literally dance along edges during playback.

Issue will be addressed by a tech soon. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has seen this on older cameras and if I might be over-worrying about capacitors getting weird. I realize it could be the record heads too (older PVV-1A) but it's so light-specific that I can't be sure.

Beyond this simple yard test, I have re-tested with varying tape stock, playback decks and lighting. Soft, flat light and everything sings. Colors pop like it was a newer head. The deck has the occassional dropout / hit to be expected from its age.

Add one hot spot or hard, contrasty edge and it just rips to the right with little lines zipping along. Take a look and let me know if you've seen or had to have this repaired. This will be handled by a Sony tech and I wanted to have a better idea before handing it off.

I'd like to see more life out of this camera so I'm doing some research. Plenty more frame-grabs if these aren't clear or representative enough. Thanks.....

Any and all input appreciated..... post-12809-1155463707.jpgpost-12809-1155463335.jpgpost-12809-1155463266.jpgpost-12809-1155463247.jpg

Its not the camera, its your record deck that is the problem.

• Premium Member
Its not the camera, its your record deck that is the problem.

Thanks, Keith, for the response. I think you're right. I did some digging around after posting that and have seen similar problems elsewhere.

I'll take it in. Anyone else have the same issues? I think we're looking beyond the old head cleaning (obviously). Ideally, the drum's okay.

• Premium Member

Rather than capacitor issues, most likely tape-transport / tension / pinch rollers or any combination therein. Worst case is the heads.

My description of "highlights / edge tears" is what's referred to as 'bearding'. Nothing too revelatory in this post I realize.

To that end - anyone got any PVV-1A heads / drums lying around? Thanks as always......