Please don't remove my account

John Hawkinson

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Again, I choose my fights and generally avoid those in which I have something to lose and almost nothing to gain.

Kind of like this issue? I figured it out "Capt."....you just want attention. You don't care what you get attention for as long as you get it. Well, I'm not giving you any more.

Kind of like this issue? I figured it out "Capt."....you just want attention. You don't care what you get attention for as long as you get it. Well, I'm not giving you any more.

Yeah, That's the reason. :rolleyes: If I wanted attention so much, why would I not give my name until forced to do so? I fight this fight because I believe people should have the right to remain annonymous should they choose to do so as long as they don't abuse that right. It's that simple, Brad. Now, I've already given MY name so it isn't for ME that I speak out and maybe I don't have anything to gain from this, but sometimes ya just gotta stand up for what you think is right. See if you can figure that out. B)

Edited by Capt.Video

• Premium Member
Yeah, That's the reason. :rolleyes: If I wanted attention so much, why would I not give my name until forced to do so? I fight this fight because I believe people should have the right to remain annonymous should they choose to do so as long as they don't abuse that right. It's that simple, Brad. Now, I've already given MY name so it isn't for ME that I speak out and maybe I don't have anything to gain from this, but sometimes ya just gotta stand up for what you think is right. See if you can figure that out. B)

Damnit Cap'n, I just lost my standing as a member of the secret society of those who knew your name. What did you have to go and blab it out for?

Seriously, to all those who know and love and/or hate the Cap'n. I did him a favor by scanning an old Spectra manual for him and he was very gracious in his thanking me.

I wonder if his real sin is that he's hell-bent-for-election determined to be the ultimate DIY'er and that rubs the self-serious professional types wrong. There is a tendency amongst film and video professionals to take themselves so g*d-d**n seriously that they forget that anal compulsiveness is not the native state of the human being. I understand the need for performance at a very high level given the ridiculous expense of big budget feature films, major account commercials, etc. But for godsake, some of us are just plain goofy guys who love film and are doing it our way.

Cap'n - I love you and wish you well, if I lived closer to you, I'd be your crew bitch (platonically that is).

Hal

PS: Food for thought: Don Quixote failed - but his story will be told over and over forever.

Damnit Cap'n, I just lost my standing as a member of the secret society of those who knew your name. What did you have to go and blab it out for?

Seriously, to all those who know and love and/or hate the Cap'n. I did him a favor by scanning an old Spectra manual for him and he was very gracious in his thanking me.

I wonder if his real sin is that he's hell-bent-for-election determined to be the ultimate DIY'er and that rubs the self-serious professional types wrong. There is a tendency amongst film and video professionals to take themselves so g*d-d**n seriously that they forget that anal compulsiveness is not the native state of the human being. I understand the need for performance at a very high level given the ridiculous expense of big budget feature films, major account commercials, etc. But for godsake, some of us are just plain goofy guys who love film and are doing it our way.

Cap'n - I love you and wish you well, if I lived closer to you, I'd be your crew bitch (platonically that is).

Hal

PS: Food for thought: Don Quixote failed - but his story will be told over and over forever.

Just look for a windmill and I be the guy tilting at it. I don't want anyone to be my bitch, but I would sure as Hell enjoy the chance to work WITH you if ya ever make it down south. Your a wildman. Thanks for all the nice things you said. I very much appreciate it.-The Cap'n B)

• Premium Member

I don't have a problem with DIY'ers, I just have a problem with handing advice to young people that could end up being financially disasterous for them. Filmmaking is an expensive hobby and you have to make your choices carefully -- you can call that being anal compulsive... or just being boring and responsible.

You have to realize that a lot of people read these posts and a solution for one person may not be the smart choice for another person, hence all the caution expressed when a DIY'er says "just develop your own ECN2 color negative!" "Just build your own telecine!" Those sorts of solutions tend to work only for certain types of people, but for many other people, it's a distraction from their real goals.

Even on the smallest of personal projects, if it's your money and you have almost no room for error, you're going to be as devastated as any pro if it doesn't come out, and a lot more financially hurt as well, so it's not only pros that are worried about performance.

But ultimately it comes back to goals, what do you really want to accomplish, what do you want to become good at doing.

But Capt. Video's DIY attitude is hardly the issue that has rubbed people the wrong way here.

I wish I could, but honestly, I can't really post anything informative yet. I'm not at that level.

So..

Tim, please don't kick me out. I love this site. I've been visiting regularly for almost two years :( !

Besides, Richard B' will miss me if I get the boot.

• Premium Member
I wish I could, but honestly, I can't really post anything informative yet. I'm not at that level.

So..

Tim, please don't kick me out. I love this site. I've been visiting regularly for almost two years :( !

Hi

Having made 587 posts you are here to stay I am sure!

Stephen

So..

Nah, you have my permission to boot his ass Tim ;)

R,