super 8 b+w film sharpness

A.Oliver

Please can some explain why kodak 200 asa b+w is so much sharper and less grainy than 64t. I received this morning processed b+w film, image quality is amazing, i've falling for b+w stock now!!! I too am amazed how sharp the canon 814xls lens is, now regret selling the 1014xls. So why does 200asa look so sharp compared to 64t?????

I am about to experiment with replacements for K40. I have never tried b&w but you have inspired me to try it. Is it very much sharper than E64?

I have a Canon 1014E. Actually what I can't understand is why the image through the viewfinder is sharper than the image that gets recorded on film. I want to investigate this with my next roll, perhaps b&w might be ideal for this.

Cheers,

JB

Actually what I can't understand is why the image through the viewfinder is sharper than the image that gets recorded on film.

The space between the cornea and retina is more consistent than the distance between the camera iris and the plastic cartridge pressure plate? That's what I think. I could be wrong.

The space between the cornea and retina is more consistent than the distance between the camera iris and the plastic cartridge pressure plate? That's what I think. I could be wrong.

Yes, I've heard that too. It could also be caused by a difference between the light paths from from lens to focussing screen and lens to film.

However I noticed something while I was running my final roll of K40. I decided to film a resolution chart. Some single frames and a few seconds at 24 fps at different aperture settings/shutter settings. The 1014E was on a tripod. Lovely clear image through the viewfinder, but as soon as the film started to roll the image in the viewfinder blurred, caused by vibration of the camera on the tripod with the motor running. I have never noticed this before, as I am not in the habit of filming resolution charts. I can't help wondering if this minute vibration is causing image smear. I'll have a better idea when I examine the processed film, because if the softness of the filmed image is caused by vibration, I would expect the frames from the "single frame" mode to be sharper than those recorded with the motor running at 24fps.

Cheers,

JB

Please can some explain why kodak 200 asa b+w is so much sharper and less grainy than 64t. I received this morning processed b+w film, image quality is amazing, i've falling for b+w stock now!!! I too am amazed how sharp the canon 814xls lens is, now regret selling the 1014xls. So why does 200asa look so sharp compared to 64t?????

I find it difficult to believe that Tri-X (200ASA) is less grainy than 64T, though maybe you got lucky in some way with it. I can certanly believe Plus X (100ASA) looks sharper and less grainy, its higher in cotrast which makes it look super sharp, infact its a beautiful stock, sharp, silky, sensuous...

hello,

i have found tri-x to be really good. I included a link to what i did with it. I am yet to try plus-x. the B&W images on the web page below were shot with a Sankyo CM300, shutter of 150 degress, no post production work, and transfered by rank cintel method.

http://members.fotki.com/caspin-films/about/

feedback i would like if nice....

Cheers

hello,

i have found tri-x to be really good. I included a link to what i did with it. I am yet to try plus-x. the B&W images on the web page below were shot with a Sankyo CM300, shutter of 150 degress, no post production work, and transfered by rank cintel method.

http://members.fotki.com/caspin-films/about/

feedback i would like if nice....

Cheers

Gareth, I think these are really good. I am also a student. I have a project this fall and I plan to use B&W as well. From your stills, I think tri-x will work for me as well. I do have one question, have you tried day-for-night with tri-x?