Telluride Jazz Festival

Allen Kaufman

Telluride was awesome... intense.. but awesome. Telluride was fun... intense... but fun. Telluried was quite an experience.. and.. you guessed it... so I won't even say it.

We have 32 miniDV60 tapes to review and back up... I did mention intense, right?? We caught some great footage of the likes of celebrity guests such as Herbie Hancock and Larry Coryell at a party interacting with our subjects (Airto Moreira & Flora Purim) which I think will contribute tremendously to the documentary premise. We also captured some wonderful interview moments with Airto and Flora that were charming and informative. It was staged outside and an admiring crowd had gathered during the course of the interview, adding extra energy and responsiveness to the humor and affection expressed by the popular couple. And thanks to my Sunlight Digital crew and our 4-camera set-up (including the use of a steadicam as well as a jib rigged up), we were able to make the most of the concert performances that took place over the course of the festival.

The lighting for the Telluride venues left something to be desired - it seems that this was the first year they even *had* lighting for even their main stage. The lighting rig was minimal (12 front lights) and evidently not designed in a manner to serve the variety of acts that participated in the festival. However, that didn't stop the responsive crowd from getting into the music nor our camera crew from capturing the raw emotion of any given moment during the exciting performances. I anticipate a tremendous amount of energy-charged scenes to choose from during the editing process scheduled for next year.

Currently we are slated to do more interviews with Flora and Airto at their home here in LA in late September. The producer hopes to coordinate additional interviews with other associated LA-based artists who share a history with them as well. The plan is to accomplish all this before the beginning of October. He has also expressed his desire to have me serve as editor for the finished documentary - which I am anticipating will probably not take place until some time in mid- to late- 2007 when more archival content has been obtained for inclusion in the finished piece.