ZEISS vs ZEISS

Guest shutter bug

Guest shutter bug

does anybody have an idea what the quality of the zeiss planars are like? like a planar vs a superspeed mk1 of the same focal length at the f stop. whats the quality like? were these lenses sold at the same time side by side just leaving the planars as the more 'economicaly priced' zeiss compared to the superspeeds? i sorts need an idea really soon as there is a lens up for sale that others are interested in.

• Premium Member

"Planar" is actually a reference to the design type of lenses made by Zeiss in the mid focal range. Either a standard speed or a super speed prime can be of planar design. Generally, 40-65mm focal lengths are built with that design, as well as some 85s. Wider lenses are of the "distagon" design, while longer lengths are of the "sonnar" design.

• Premium Member
"Planar" is actually a reference to the design type of lenses made by Zeiss in the mid focal range. Either a standard speed or a super speed prime can be of planar design. Generally, 40-65mm focal lengths are built with that design, as well as some 85s. Wider lenses are of the "distagon" design, while longer lengths are of the "sonnar" design.

For some reason, I was unable to edit this post, after realizing it was in a 16mm thread. These are 35mm focal lengths.

Guest shutter bug
For some reason, I was unable to edit this post, after realizing it was in a 16mm thread. These are 35mm focal lengths.

ok,but this is my question.ive seen some zeiss standard mount 16mm lenses both labeled distagon and superspeed. i think ive seen some marked planar (im assuming the 25mm zeiss planar f2 is a 16mm lens since its size is nothing like a 20mm lens for 35mm that ive seen)

i understand hese are names of the optical designs (i actually forgot about distagons!) but once again im interested in image quality. there is obviously going to be a difference in optical design bewteen two zeiss lenses of the same focal length but different fstops. my question is at the same lowest fstop,whats the difference in image quality? i just get confused with the different names they used in terms of when they were being manufactured and what was their quality reference between them in quality. at least with bolex, you know that switar was the top of the range, with yvar beow that and som berthiot below that. like cars with different option packages they all fit into different pricing brackets from bare bones economy,average accesories o the luxuery model. im trying to figure out if this is the same with zeiss glass or if the different names were just used at different times.

sorry if this is convoluted but i find it all somewhat confusng