Viper 2.35:1 aspect ratio

Saurabh

Hi,

I attended a technical seminar on the thompson viper in Mumbai, India. What I don't understand about it is the "cinemascope aspect ratio" i.e 2.35:1 ratio... how is it done, they said " Dynamic Pixel management" I don't completely understand that. Then, if it is just the pixels being managed, how i sit behaving on the viewfinder and then are there any optics changing?

Thanking you.

• Premium Member

There is a description here:

http://jkor.com/peter/vipermodes.html

http://www.sintex.ru/pdf/viper.pdf

The net result is a 2.37 image that is 1920 x 1080 pixels -- in other words, the recorded image would appear vertically stretched to fill 1080 lines, sort of an electronic anamorphic effect.

In terms of monitoring and viewfinder image, I don't know how it is corrected to be displayed as a non-stretched letterboxed image on a 16x9 HD monitor. Maybe it's a menu function or a monitor feature. Or maybe the viewfinder / monitor displays a normal 16x9 image with 2.37 cut-off framelines and what gets recorded then fills 16x9. So the problem of unstretching would happen only if you played back the 1920 x 1080 recording.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I attended a technical seminar on the thompson viper in Mumbai, India. What I don't understand about it is the "cinemascope aspect ratio" i.e 2.35:1 ratio... how is it done, they said " Dynamic Pixel management" I don't completely understand that. Then, if it is just the pixels being managed, how i sit behaving on the viewfinder and then are there any optics changing?

Thanking you.

Hello

Could you kindly tell me where and when was the seminar conducted? Are there any such seminars in the future? I too am a cinematography student

and am pleasantly surprised to learn that Digital Cinematography has finally hit the shores of India.

Ashim