I PROMISE...

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

Just to alleviate Capt. Video's growing paranoia, I hereby publically announce that I will not be spending any time attempting to keep him from being hired on anything, period. And if he has a decent resume and is in Local 600, I will consider him for any camera department job he applies for, assuming he is qualified, assuming I keep shooting union films.

Although the truth is that I really only have a say in hiring four people: Key Grip, Gaffer, 1st AC, Operator. Anyone below them are hired by one of those four people.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I promise to continue to be amused by this silliness.

David is newly a member of the ASC's secret society to rid the production world of internet forum members who use monikers that sound like 50s kiddie TV shows. They've been very successful in keeping Mr. Kukla Fran Andollie away from Craft Services.

I dunno,

after all the crazy talk i've seen coming out of capt. video on this forum, i definitely, without a doubt, wouldn't hire him. he's like some ultra right wing o'reilly, ann coulter worshipping nut:

check out http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...c=15002&hl=

post #11

or paraphrased, Fox news sound byte style, for convenience and nothing else of course:

"I... a Bush supporter. If I'm not for you then I'm against you...When Iran developes the bomb, and they will....there may come a time in the future when we... have to answer fire with fire....I for one would rather my country... level Teharan because some Islamic nutcase with a deathwish, a 3rd grade education and a promise of 72 virgins...murders millions of people by setting off a nuke in the heart New York City....In fact bombing Al Jazeera... have been... ONE action Bush could have taking[sic] that I... have supported!"

wow, after that i feel like a journalist for the FOX news Network. i think i could get the hang of this reporting thing it ain't too hard....

;) ;) ;) ;)

someone is not going to get this....just watch...

Edited by Evan Winter

I don't get it.... :)

No really, politics should play no part in employment. Arrest history...yes. :D No matter how much you dislike "right-wingers" exposure can only benefit a person. Those posting from USA haven't left yet, so left and right must still have more in common than not. If I were surrounded by just republicans or just dems I'd probably kill myself. Like minded is great but it can get tired and worse, BORING!!!

• Premium Member
No really, politics should play no part in employment.

No, of course not. And the truth is that despite the image of Hollywood as being a bastion of liberalism, your typical film crew is fairly working class with a decent mix of political temperments.

Anyway, I'd hire a John Bircher if he could pull focus perfectly on an anamorphic lens shooting wide-open!

:)

okay, i'm gonna drop my weak attempt at 'daily show/colbert report' type political satire and i'm gonna ask a serious question:

david, do you think you'd really be able to work day in and day out on a 3 month feature with a 'john bircher' first ac?

i'm thinking about it myself and i'm not sure...especially given the volatile state of world politics right now and even american politics. the whole topic of politics or even just points of view on daily occurences - israel/lebanon - would be bound to come up and people often get quite heated when their fundamental views of right and wrong are challenged.

i'd like to think that i'd happily hire a first ac who is extreme right (i'm assuming we're talking about extremes for this discussion) as easily as one who is liberal but i don't know....then again, i may very well hire a first ac who is conservative over someone who is extreme left....perhaps it's just the extremes that scare me...

anyway mindless rant done...

evan

• Premium Member

Generally people who work closely together on film sets for long periods try to maintain some civility by avoiding arguments over hot topics like religion and politics. It may come up now & then, but most of us are not going to let ourselves get sidetracked from the work at hand. The beliefs of the particular person matter less than whether they have a pleasant nature (i.e. aren't an a--hole.) Now one might assume, I guess, that someone on the extreme end of issues would naturally be unpleasant, but I'm not so sure that's true. Anyway, as long as it doesn't affect the work, I don't think it matters.

I've worked with a couple of conspiracy nuts before, that's always interesting, but some of those people are so far out there that it's pointless to try and discuss the issue rationally, so you just nod and change the subject, get back to work.

Now if some crew member had particularly controversial views on touchy subjects and constantly felt the need to proclaim them on the set to everyone and be disruptive, I might have a talking to them, or have the producers talk to them. It's similar to how you might handle the spectre of sexual harassment -- some people aren't aware they are doing anything wrong so first you have to inform them of when they are crossing the line.

But I could no more hire or fire someone for a political belief than I could for their sex or race.

And I promise to continue to be amused by this silliness.

David is newly a member of the ASC's secret society to rid the production world of internet forum members who use monikers that sound like 50s kiddie TV shows. They've been very successful in keeping Mr. Kukla Fran Andollie away from Craft Services.

Huh?

David,

Captain Video called me and said that he would never work for you, and that as soon as his evil plan for world domination is complete, you will rue the day you mocked him. . .

On the other hand, if you apologize right now, all you will have to do the new world order is to iron his cape)

MUAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

So Richard Boddington, you're afraid of me are you ?

HA HA HA, coward. :D :D :D :D :D

There's a scene in the Lord Of The Rings the Two Towers where Gandolf is confronted by that slime ball guy Gweemer some thing or other. Gandolf says, "I didn't come here to match wits with a half wit like you."

I've taken that on as my new forum philosophy.

R,

I'm not crabby at all. So long as I only associate with people that are exactly like me and believe every thing I believe.

So your own kids believe that they are incompetent in comparison to anyone older, and that they should accept any verbal abuse thrown at them by older people, purely because, they are older?

Right-o...

Edited by Danny