I PROMISE...

David Mullen ASC

I just got home from a night out and read this tripe. Move on, I'm not here to read petty gripes and superficial what do you call it, geeky internet squabbling. Grow up, pick a fight a fight with someone whose girlfriend who is better than they are, leave this forum to cameraman that see this as their life pursuit.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do see Cinematography as my life pursiut, you don't know me, so don't dare say I'm a idiot !!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

So it wasn't just me.

Matt, if you really want to get into film, do the following:

1. Watch as many films as possible. But don't go forcing yourself to watch them. Otherwise you will just get sick of it very quickly.

2. Make some damn films. I myself included got too tangled up in the theory of things. Nothing teaches more than experience. Just simple films, it's not asthough you are trying to put them on the big screen at this stage. Who cares if the storylines crap. You went out, shot a film, came home and edited it. Sounds simple enough.. but you will encounter many things you didn't know existed on the way.

3. Get hold of an old 35mm manual SLR. These things are great for learning camera theory. i.e. depth of field, ISO ratings, shutter speeds, lenses, filters e.t.c. ALL of these things are the bare basics to cinematography.

Photography and cinematography are closely related.

At this stage of the game, I doubt you REALLY know if you want in on the film industry. So just take it one step at a time and don't force yourself to do anything. After a few years, you should be able to decide for yourself.

And yeh, tips for this forum.. avoid arguements. Only makes you look bad even if you are in the right, holding up arguements is very hard when you are of a young age, you just miss certain things.. and tend to look like a little rat as opposed to a kid with dreams of one day working in the film industry.

(Setup a poll for the most hated user in this place.. gurantee you his name will start with a D.. and will end in an L... And believe me I had NO intention of getting into arguements or offending people. I was just too young to voice my arguements in the correct manner and ended up making a total moron out of myself.)

Good luck. You really, are, going to need it. (Seriously. you have to be a total film maniac to get into this industry. It may just not be for you.)

Edited by Danny

• Premium Member
Huh?
Ancient children's television show originally out of WNBQ in Chicago. Puppeteer Burr Tillstrom and early TV personality Fran Allision hosted it, lead puppet was a big nosed, bald head little character Kukla whose best friend was a dragon named Ollie. Ollie had a habit of grabbing Kukla's big nose with his large mouth when Ollie was feeling peckish.

I refuse to answer any questions as to why I know so much about pre-1950's television in Chicago. It's one thing to grow older, it's another thing entirely to gab about the television you watched over 58 years ago as a kid. :D

See http://kukla.tv/

I was talking about this cool dude. B)

I just got home from a night out and read this tripe. Move on, I'm not here to read petty gripes and superficial what do you call it, geeky internet squabbling. Grow up, pick a fight a fight with someone whose girlfriend who is better than they are, leave this forum to cameraman that see this as their life pursuit.

He sounds drunk.

Edited by Matthew Buick

Guest shutter bug

im sorry folks but i cannot believe you people think a persons personal beliefs are non issues when hiring. if i hire somebody i cannot eevn think of them as being polar opposites if they are to be working close to me.

it is my personal agenda to make sure the wrong people do not get any advancement in society. those people make themselves obvious so they are easy to avoide. can you really accept them into your circle of reality? how else are we to help extracate xenu our supreme ruler to make it out of intergalactic prison and resume his role as supreme ruler of the universe if we let the scientologists gain resources? dont hire them! xenu is power xenu is supreme xenu is ruler xenu is great all hail xenu.remember, be nice and he will let you take a ride in one of his rocketships that "look exactly like mcdonell douglas dc-9 except where there are airlane engines there are rockets"

i hope it has business class...

• Premium Member
im sorry folks but i cannot believe you people think a persons personal beliefs are non issues when hiring. if i hire somebody i cannot eevn think of them as being polar opposites if they are to be working close to me.

it is my personal agenda to make sure the wrong people do not get any advancement in society. those people make themselves obvious so they are easy to avoide. can you really accept them into your circle of reality?

Obviously there are limits, but in general, diversity in society is a good thing, and even in an artistic endeavor. Now of course I don't want to go to work in a hostile environment that will be a distraction from the work, but that doesn't mean I have to be surrounded by people who believe in exactly the same things as I do. If the catering person has to accomodate vegetarians, I can certainly accomodate a right-wing Republican on the crew as long as they are not obnoxious.

I've worked with a couple of right-wing actors who have been vocally pro Iraq War in the media, and they have been fine to work with on the set.

It's not like I'm talking about hiring a crew of NAMBLA or KKK members.

I don't get it.... :)

No really, politics should play no part in employment. Arrest history...yes. :D No matter how much you dislike "right-wingers" exposure can only benefit a person. Those posting from USA haven't left yet, so left and right must still have more in common than not. If I were surrounded by just republicans or just dems I'd probably kill myself. Like minded is great but it can get tired and worse, BORING!!!

What if it's a short rap sheet with no ACTUAL felony arrests? I hope that won't lessen my chances because I'd really love to work with you David, although, I must confess, I AM still hoping for a job as eather Brad Grimmett"s or Evan Winter's AC. To quote Lennon "All ya need is love." Peace B)

Edited by Capt.Video

• Premium Member
Could you smell the scotch on my response?

Sorry all about the rambling, one glass too many last night. Lesson learned, never post after your been out drinking.

Don't beat yourself up too much, there are a few of my posts that I can tell editorially had a lot to do with my bad rotator cuff and taking Lortabs. ;)

Guest shutter bug
Obviously there are limits, but in general, diversity in society is a good thing, and even in an artistic endeavor. Now of course I don't want to go to work in a hostile environment that will be a distraction from the work, but that doesn't mean I have to be surrounded by people who believe in exactly the same things as I do. If the catering person has to accomodate vegetarians, I can certainly accomodate a right-wing Republican on the crew as long as they are not obnoxious.

I've worked with a couple of right-wing actors who have been vocally pro Iraq War in the media, and they have been fine to work with on the set.

It's not like I'm talking about hiring a crew of NAMBLA or KKK members.

just for that youre on xenu's shitlist...all hail the overlord!

Could you smell the scotch on my response?

Sorry all about the rambling, one glass too many last night. Lesson learned, never post after your been out drinking.

Yeh I think we've all been there and learned the hard way...

Edited by Danny

• Premium Member
I haven't, I hate drinking, it's bad for you, and everyone who drinks is a stupid wino.
No, drinking isn't bad for those who are constitutionally able to handle it emotionally. But there is a huge pile of souls somewhere whose lives were ruined by it. Bottom line? If one finds they have a need to drink, an obsession, then they're probably on thin ice from the beginning of their drinking career.

I was.

Herein endeth the lesson.

If the catering person has to accomodate vegetarians, I can certainly accomodate a right-wing Republican on the crew as long as they are not obnoxious.

---I was told by an instructor at San Fransisco Stat who had studied with Kuleshov at the Soviet film Instute that Raoul Coutard is a right wing "reactionary". yet he is able to work with Godard.

No, drinking isn't bad for those who are constitutionally able to handle it emotionally. But there is a huge pile of souls somewhere whose lives were ruined by it. Bottom line? If one finds they have a need to drink, an obsession, then they're probably on thin ice from the beginning of their drinking career.

I was.

Herein endeth the lesson.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN !!!!!

Good man, Hal.

I don't think it's bad.. I for one love beer. I only despise those mongs who think they are Lenny Mclean after two pints.

(You see them round the back of the pub after kicking out time chucking up.. big tough men..)

Today I saw a drunken mug push in line in Maccy D's, guy behind said there was a que, the drunken idiot elbowed the guy straight in the face and knocked him clean off his feet. This was a normal guy just in buying food, protesting someone pushing in front of everyone. Damn chavys.

Edited by Danny