I PROMISE...

David Mullen ASC

As far as I can remember, I've always preffered film. I've just always preffered the flexibility of digital. Which is why I shoot film but then transfer it to digital for grading.

As far as you can remember? Hmmm, I think maybe we can dig up some famous quotes of yours when you where telling us how you where going to shoot a film on HD that would rival Lord Of The Rings. Remember those days? I also seem to remember you saying, "that film would have to go away."

How did that project turn out any way?

No, I'm not trying to provoke a fight with you, just referencing a by gone era that's all.

R,

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is hilarious as well as being one of the most tangential roller coaster rides so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

David Mullen is right (as usual) about learning film techniques.

No matter what, light and lighting principles will never change.

The ratios change and of course the fixtures change with technological breakthroughs.

The same applies to grip.

Film or digital, the camera or capture device will have to be supported and/or moved.

As a cinematographer (or future cinematographer) it is essential to stay on top of digital and film.

Personally I would love to see all motion picture people concentrate more on their personal "why's" because the "how's" seem to dominate.

IMHO it is more important to know why you are putting that light there than how the latest dimmable fluorescent fixture with MP3 player inputs, remote head with built-in coffee maker etc. can be integrated into the next project because it's "cool".

I'm constantly asking directors why they want to move the camera at a particular point.

Many don't really know. "Because it would look good", "Seems like a good time to", etc. does not cut it for me.

As far as you can remember? Hmmm, I think maybe we can dig up some famous quotes of yours when you where telling us how you where going to shoot a film on HD that would rival Lord Of The Rings. Remember those days? I also seem to remember you saying, "that film would have to go away."

How did that project turn out any way?

No, I'm not trying to provoke a fight with you, just referencing a by gone era that's all.

R,

Ah.. that old thing... Most kids think they can pull off this stuff, until; they actually give it a go. I don't remember saying it was going to be the next Lord of the Rings though, just, of that quality. And no I finally realised that I couldn't afford to make it.

Although looking back on it, it wasn't bad! (What I wanted to do would have cost thousands, and probably would have had to include the makers of Lord of the Rings. I was actually bargaining with Optex on a Panasonic SDX900.. but hey we all had dreams.)

I can't remember exactly what I said about film 'going away', but it has been sometime now that I've been using film and scanning it in to edit it digitally.

And, as I've said before. I was mistaken for a lot of stuff I said, simply because I didn't know how to voice myself correctly. How comes I haven't got into a real argument for ages? It's not as though I'm a whole different person, I just know how to voice myself correctly.

Looking back on some of the arguments, I wasn't always wrong. People interpreted what I was saying incorrectly, and it escalated, until I ended up saying something that WAS wrong, and all hell blew loose.

But I'm not the only one around here who said some stupid things. Richard. ;)

Dan S. Qoute: Personally I would love to see all motion picture people concentrate more on their personal "why's" because the "how's" seem to dominate.

Well put, Mr. Salzmann. :) Technology over humanity. Of course you need to know HOW to fufill WHY, but nowadays philosophy/theory is an endangered species....

But I'm not the only one around here who said some stupid things. Richard. ;)

If you're refering to me I can't think of a single occasion. Although I'd be happy to supply a list of people that fit the bill.

R,

If you're refering to me I can't think of a single occasion. Although I'd be happy to supply a list of people that fit the bill.

R,

Well, not that I'm trying to open up an old chest here, but I seem to remember you saying something about how younger people should allow you to walk over them, since as you were older. In an old arguement with you, Landon, TSM and myself.

(Speaking of them two, I wonder what happened to them. Haven't seen them around here in ages.)

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Oh, and not to mention that time Landon and I were having a harmless friendly chat and everyone on here decided to come down on us like a ton of bricks. At the time I more or less felt like we were being told off by adults for being naughty. Looking back on it, what a bunch of a**holes...

Well, not that I'm trying to open up an old chest here, but I seem to remember you saying something about how younger people should allow you to walk over them, since as you were older. In an old arguement with you, Landon, TSM and myself.

(Speaking of them two, I wonder what happened to them. Haven't seen them around here in ages.)

Use the search and find my quote.

Landon was signed to a five picture deal with Universal Studios and no longer has time for these forums.

TSM, will appear the instant some one starts a thread that has to do with the Middle East, etc etc.

R,

Use the search and find my quote.

No it's too much effort to find something that old for the sake of proving that I wasn't the only one. Who cares it was ages ago.

Landon was signed to a five picture deal with Universal Studios and no longer has time for these forums.

TSM, will appear the instant some one starts a thread that has to do with the Middle East, etc etc.

:lol: ok. I've always got along with Jonathon in the past, you mention he's interested in specific threads, where's he actually from? (I've spoken to him a lot but haven't actually got any idea as to who he is or what he does)

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith