HELP: HD DP checklist?

Guest erock21

Guest erock21

This one is for the experienced HD Cinematographers! I would really appreciate your help!

I will be DPing on my first HD feature using the Canon XLH1. We will be using the Wafian direct to disk drive (ive never used) for both video and audio.

Most of my experience is shooting on my DVx100a on much smaller films

The crew is skeleton and I will have 1 AC who may possibly be part of the sound dept as well.

My question is this:

What sort of things should I add to my checklist shooting an HD.

Focus pulling, slating, lighting..

What should I research that may be different for HD so I dont look like a bumbling fool.

What should I expect my AC to do differently becuase it is HD.

What is an average, or good workflow to adhere to.

I'm basically trying to figure out the major differences in workflow, shooting, lighting the whole thing etc...

If anyone can answer some or all of these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Frankly, there isn't any difference in how to make a movie. You mention that you've done much smaller "films," but the situation you're describing sounds impossibly small if your AC is also somehow doing sound. I'm not sure how that will work.

The "normal" workflow for a two-man crew for me is to first set the frame so that everyone knows what will be seen. Then while I am lighting, the other person can either help or set up the audio and monitor. It's that simple. Shoot when ready and repeat until the day is over. Making a movie is making a movie. The same work occurs on a $100 milllion feature as a $100 feature, just with the bigger budget there are more people to help. The "workflow" issue has less to do with the box on the tripod and more to do with the lack of manpower. If it was me, I'd insist on more help. If you're doing precision moves of any kind with the camera, you don't need your AC holding a boom mic over an Actor's head.

In terms of HD vs SD, you'll likely enjoy lighting with slightly better latitude and a sharper image, but you still have to be mindful of high contrast situations as always.

Good luck. Sounds like you'll need it. :)

If not an HD field monitor, at least a color calibrated monitor. and if not a color calibrated monitor, at the VERY least a small portable TV so you're not squinting and attempting to judge focus using a tiny tiny LCD screen (good or otherwise).

Trust me. I've learned the hard way.

jeff

Guest erock21

Thank you everyone!

Turns out he found a sound guy.

Also we get a monochrome viewfinder for primary focus and 7" HD-SDI monitor for secondary/share focus/framing.

I'm pretty excited to be shooting my first HD feature with the new wafian. Has anyone used it?

My AC and I plan to take the equipment out into the field for a few days to play around and get a feel for everything. To save money we will be building some kinos instead of your standard 3 piece. Good idea?

Most of this is being shot in the woods, so I'm a bit concerned about natural light, but im told not to worry.

I'll probably have more questions as pre-pro turns into production.

This forum is a huge help!