godly,holy light

hi;

i'm gonna shoot a short on 16mm and there is this character who is actually a guarding angel.it takes place in a bar, the guy is a bartender...i want him to look a little bit godly, holy and wise but not too obvious...how would you light it?please give me some suggestions...so far i was thinking to light him from the top with a white light more like kiefer sutherland in lost boys...but i am not really sure how i can do it technically and with what equipment...suggestions please:)

• Premium Member

Hi,

I once did a ghost (a friendly one of a recently-departed little old lady) by cross and back-lighting very heavily and shooting through a mist filter. Of course on video it blooms and flares and goes nuts, which actually worked quite well - it's the only time I've ever had a crew go "Oooh" when I framed it up, because of course it looked like nothing in reality.

Would point out that we almost baked the little old lady alive with six redheads, but hey.

Phil

Watch Bergman's Wild Strawberries. In the beginning, there is a dream sequence that is overexposed, and looks like nothing you've ever seen. The principle for shooting ghosts and the like is to overexpose, or, as was suggested, light heavily from behind.

I am wild about the overexposure of Uma at Pai Meis temple in Kill Bill vol. 2. Although they must have used a camerafilter, such as WproMist, I also believe some of the work - the glow - must have been done post!

In general I like the entire look of the film and the constant use of a slight overexposure.