Does the HVX have frame advance?

Bob Prichard

I am looking for an HD camcorder that has frame-by-frame playback. I videotape golfers to analyze their swing. Am currently using a Canon XL-1 but want to go to HD for better image quality. Any feedback appreciated.

I just tested this out on my HVX. I shot 720p and played back frame by frame using the remote my camera comes with. I dont have a HD monitor I am sure you can watch this on screen, frame by frame.

I am looking for an HD camcorder that has frame-by-frame playback. I videotape golfers to analyze their swing. Am currently using a Canon XL-1 but want to go to HD for better image quality. Any feedback appreciated.

The HVX will give you easy & simple HD still images you can review instantly, no matter what frame rate you shot at. The XL-H1 has a higher resolution chip but since it's a long-GOP solution frame by frame analysis is near-impossible on the spot. My recommendation would be to shoot at 720/60p on the HVX and since it uses no GOP compression schemes or tape when recording in HD and will give you a true 60 frames per second to analyze. If you want to view it in slow motion as well you can set the camera while using P2 to 720/24pN and switch the frame rate to 60. This will still give you a true 60 frames per second but will playback at 24, giving you 2.5x slow motion video to analyze as well as the step-framing. Just be careful, because 1080/60i is interlaced and not progressive, although 1080/30p is. Also, either 60-frames mode in 720/60p or 720/24pN is still 1 GB/sec, so prepare for the archival space. Otherwise, this is probably the cheapest and most re-usable system around for your needs if you want HD. Good luck!