Capturing 24P or 24P advanced into final cut pro

Raymond O'Neil

Hi all, I'm lost. I am trying to capture footage recorded in 24P and/or 24PA (doesn't really matter) so I can edit it in FCP 5 but FCP doesn't let me properly do it. While in the capture mode it pauses the capture and does a weird thing pause/step/pause/step each frame. Am I doing something wrong? I tried to capture the footage in iMovie HD with NTSC DV presets and the image came out horrible...

What can I do? What are the presets/setting in FCP pro so I can properly capture 24P or 24PA? There are several confusing choices in FCP, i.e. it gives you an option to choose a codec. There is for example DV NTSC 23.98, then DV NTSC 24, Then there is something with Advanced pull down, also Apple Intermiediate Codec 720P24, HDV 720P30... I am really lost. Please help.

And finally what is the diffeence between the option in FCP Audio/Video Settings> There are separately SEQUENCE PRESETS and CAPTURE PRESETS. What is the difference? Do they have to be set to the same values?

Thank you in advance and sorry if anything is vague or unclear. I ust spent (wasted) 4 hours trying to figure this stuff out and I am quite stressed out.

Read the eighth post down:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?...t=final+cut+pro

Hope it helps.

That thread refers to material shot in HDV 24P. It sounds like mastroiani shot in DV mode 24P. Is this right mastroiani?

I can guide you, but I need to know what format you shot in with the camera (HDV24P, DV 24P 2:3, or DV 24P 2:3:3:2.)

It also sounds like you have never worked with Final Cut Pro. I would suggest breezing over the sections in the manual to do with capture and sequence setup. Yes, your sequence setting should match your capture settings (but not required like with Avid) to avoid rendering. However, it is more important right now to understand what format your material is in, and then I guide you with how to ingest and edit it.

Hi Tim, thank you so much for your offer of help.

You are right, I shot most of the material in regular DV 24P (16:9 option not 4:3) but using HD100U. I also shot a different material (which I don't have to edit in the same timeline as of now) in DV 24P Advanced (also 16:9 option not 4:3) also using HD100U.

This brings up another question. I should be able to edit this material without rendering? Am I correct?

Please let me know what other information I can provide.

Thanks a lot

P.S. You are right I should read the FCP manual, but I didn't have it handy and didn't realize it might be on the net (I will check for it). I will also be taking FCP classes in a few weeks so that should make me more knowledgable.

Edited by mastroiani

You are right, I shot most of the material in regular DV 24P (16:9 option not 4:3) but using HD100U. I also shot a different material (which I don't have to edit in the same timeline as of now) in DV 24P Advanced (also 16:9 option not 4:3) also using HD100U.

Before I begin, it is important to remember that 24P in the world of NTSC video is always actually 23.976 (or 23.98 rounded off.) It is just easier to say 24P instead of 23.98P.

Since you shot both 24P (2:3 pulldown) and 24PA (2:3:3:2 pulldown) you have two options available. One will ultimately be the best approach for frame accurate editing, the other will be the quickest way to get started.

Option #1: Edit in 24P (23.98) sequences.

post-905-1156288858.jpgCapturing and removing the pulldown is easy for the 24P advanced (2:3:3:2) material. Just capture your clips using the "DV NTSC 48 kHz Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown removal preset. (see attached image #1.)

post-905-1156288868.jpgAfter you have captured the 24PA clips, make sure they are checkmarked as "anamorphic" in the anamorphic column in the bin. If not, simply highlight all of the clips and right-click or CTRL-click to bring up a contextual menu and select "yes." (see attached image #2.)

Capturing the 24P normal (2:3) clips requires the use of Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown and create new clips that are 24P.

So set your capture preset to DV-NTSC in the Capture settings tab of "Log & Capture." (see image #3) Capture your clips normally. Your clips will still be 29.97fps NTSC after being captured, so you'll have to use Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown.

post-905-1156288887.jpgIf you have FCP 5.1, then select all of your 24P normal clips and then choose "Cinema Tools Reverse Telecine" from the Tools menu.(see attached image #4) If you don't have FCP5.1, move the 24P normal files to their own folder from the Capture Scratch, then just launch Cinema Tools, select "Batch Reverse Telecine" from the file menu, choose 23.98 as the frame rate, and direct CT to the files that need the pulldown removed. You will have an option to make duplicates or delete the originals. I suggest deleting the originals. CT will now reverse the telecine on all of the clips and put them into a new folder inside their old folder. Just drag this folder into FCP and you are ready to start editing in 24P (23.98P)

You will want to double check that all of your clips are actually 23.98fps in the "Vid Rate" column in the bin.

Also double check that they are all checked at "Anamorphic" in the anamorphic column.

post-905-1156288897.jpgNow on to create a new sequence. Make sure "Prompt for settings on new sequence" is checkmarked in your User settings. (see image #5) Hit CMD+N to create a new sequence and you should be asked what type you want to create.

post-905-1156288910.jpgSelect DV NTSC 48 kHz - 23.98 (NOT 24!!!) (see attached image #6)

Your new sequence will be created and should be automatically selected. Go to "Sequence Settings" by hittin CMD+Zero or selecting it from the Settings menu.

post-905-1156289203.jpgNow just checkmark the "anamorphic" option, confirm that the frame rate is set to 23.98 and you are ready to start editing in 24P! (see image #7.)

Option #2 You could edit everything as standard NTSC at 29.97fps, which would be less work on the front, but the 24P advanced material (2:3:3:2) may not look as smooth as the 24P normal (2:3).

post-905-1156288936.jpgSimply go to the "Final Cut Pro" menu, select "Easy Setup" and choose "DV-NTSC." Click "Setup." (See image #8)

Everything will now default to standard NTSC. The only thing different that you will have to do is to set all clips and the sequence to "anamorphic" before you begin editing clips into the sequence.

The advantage here is that you can add material that you can add 60i material to your sequence with ease.

This brings up another question. I should be able to edit this material without rendering? Am I correct?

There will be no rendering needed if your sequence frame rate, codec, dimension (including anamorphic flag) match your source clips. If there are any mis-matches between sequence and clip you will know as soon as it is edited in. The render bar will turn red.

P.S. You are right I should read the FCP manual, but I didn't have it handy and didn't realize it might be on the net (I will check for it). I will also be taking FCP classes in a few weeks so that should make me more knowledgable.

The user manual is available at any time via the "Help" menu in FCP. It is a pdf and should automatically open with "Preview" so you can do quick searches.

Edited by Tim Dashwood

Dear Tim, I was out in the field and was able to print out and read your reply just now. Thank you so much for your advice and your time! I appreciate it enormously. It is very helpful and I am planning to tranfser the footage tonight.

Thank you again!

• 3 years later...
Guest zhuo chun bei

louis vuitton outlet

Anyone know louis vuitton outlet near by? I am looking for one but never get.

I just bought this bag from http://www.eiluxury.com louis vuitton which located in New York city, it’s wonderful.