Answer Print from 16mm Reversal K40/K25?

grantsmith

Hi,

Is it possible if I mess up the exposure on 16mm reversal such as K40/K25 to get a print from it in the same way that you can print up or down when shooting on negative? If so is this this a simple (i.e. cheap) procedure to ask for?

Thank you.

Hi,

Is it possible if I mess up the exposure on 16mm reversal such as K40/K25 to get a print from it in the same way that you can print up or down when shooting on negative? If so is this this a simple (i.e. cheap) procedure to ask for?

Thank you.

It is true that with reversal film, you have much less latitude for exposure. A slight underexposer is more acceptable than an overexposure. Meter for your highlights. A good DI could probably yield fantastic results, but how much do you want to pay? The photochemical route could possibly yield satifactory results but has its own inherent risks. Try really hard to nail the exposure and you'll be lovin life.

chris

• Premium Member
Hi,

Thank you.

Projection contrast reversal films generally have less latitude than color negative films. As mentioned, on reversal films, you can usually tolerate a bit of underexposure better than overexposure, as with overexposure, you lose highlight detail on the "toe" of the film's characteristic.

Most 16mm reversal is either projected directly, or a telecine transfer is made. If 16mm prints are needed, you need to make an internegative, as Kodak no longer sells a color reversal print film.