Cross Processing

Craig Agee

ive heard alot of films use cross processing,can anyone tell me what films specifically have used this technique and wether it was c-41 in e6 chemistry or e6 in c-41.also i heard when you plan to cross process your film you should rate it a bit slower and overexpose it,how much overexposure gives good results as i know from still photography overexposure + cross processing can cause very high contrast and unpredictable results.

Craig

• Premium Member
ive heard alot of films use cross processing,can anyone tell me what films specifically have used this technique and wether it was c-41 in e6 chemistry or e6 in c-41.also i heard when you plan to cross process your film you should rate it a bit slower and overexpose it,how much overexposure gives good results as i know from still photography overexposure + cross processing can cause very high contrast and unpredictable results.

Craig

Since the motion picture color negative films have rem-jet that needs the special removal steps in the ECN-2 process, they are rarely cross-processed. A color reversal film like 5285 can be cross-processed in the ECN-2 process. Work closely with your lab, and pre-testing to get the "look" you want is highly advised.

Shoot a lot of tests. That is my best suggestion. When I shoot cross process (usually old 7250) I over expose by 1/3 to 1/2 stop and have had good results. I have never shot any of the E-6 reversal film...only VNF.

As far as what movies to look at for cross process:

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels,

Summer of Sam,

Three Kings

Shoot a lot of tests. That is my best suggestion. When I shoot cross process (usually old 7250) I over expose by 1/3 to 1/2 stop and have had good results. I have never shot any of the E-6 reversal film...only VNF.

As far as what movies to look at for cross process:

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels,

Summer of Sam,

Three Kings

How could you forget 'Domino'? Enough cross processing to keep one satisfied for nearly a lifetime.

Also 'U Turn'

I just shot the flashbacks for an episode of "Cold Case" cross-process push 3. I had to have the push because the murder was shot on a bridge 30 meters above the river and about 200 meters from either riverbank. This situation calls for alot of light even pushing three. I think that i had 18 12k pars, 2 18ks and a 6k working the whole time. I found that the stock doesn't handle overexposure at all, 1/2 stop over yeilds no detail in the highlights, 1 stop under you can barely see detail. Too your eye the lighting looks flat and boring, but the chemistry gives you contrast that is suprising. The color shofts to green in the skintones(this can be taken out in camera with a magenta 30cc filter or in telecine. The contrast bleeds in the transition between black and white (hot window and black haired actress). I love it. There is no way that this look could be achieved in post without a tremendous amout of work. As it is my dailies transfer guy worked very hard to get it to this point. Let me know what you think.

Paul M. Sommers

I just shot the flashbacks for an episode of "Cold Case" cross-process push 3. I had to have the push because the murder was shot on a bridge 30 meters above the river and about 200 meters from either riverbank. This situation calls for alot of light even pushing three. I think that i had 18 12k pars, 2 18ks and a 6k working the whole time. I found that the stock doesn't handle overexposure at all, 1/2 stop over yeilds no detail in the highlights, 1 stop under you can barely see detail. Too your eye the lighting looks flat and boring, but the chemistry gives you contrast that is suprising. The color shofts to green in the skintones(this can be taken out in camera with a magenta 30cc filter or in telecine. The contrast bleeds in the transition between black and white (hot window and black haired actress). I love it. There is no way that this look could be achieved in post without a tremendous amout of work. As it is my dailies transfer guy worked very hard to get it to this point. Let me know what you think.

Paul M. Sommers

i watch cold case...lemme know when it is going to air and ill check it out