Swordfish

Roberto Ditleff

There's an article about the film in the June 2001 issue of "ICG Magazine", haven't read it myself unfortunately but I'm sure that would provide some info. My guess would be that they used Tobacco filters for some of the day exteriors, which would give it the heavy sepia feel in certain scenes, a sort of heavy yellow look. I did a test of different warming filters (Chocolate, Tobacco, Straw, 81EF, etc.) and I feel like "Swordfish" looks more like Tobacco than anything else.

As far as taking chances and creating a look in-camera, that's what cinematographers get paid for. It's not magic, you can shoot tests.

There's an article about the film in the June 2001 issue of "ICG Magazine", haven't read it myself unfortunately but I'm sure that would provide some info. My guess would be that they used Tobacco filters for some of the day exteriors, which would give it the heavy sepia feel in certain scenes, a sort of heavy yellow look. I did a test of different warming filters (Chocolate, Tobacco, Straw, 81EF, etc.) and I feel like "Swordfish" looks more like Tobacco than anything else.

As far as taking chances and creating a look in-camera, that's what cinematographers get paid for. It's not magic, you can shoot tests.

Thanks for the filter advise

I understand that, however there is a step called 'Processing' that is usually how many people get 'the' look of the film. If more Directors had the guts of Tony Scott where he'd probably allow a DP to throw paint on the film as it was shooting, that would be great, but many aren't that brave.

I understand that, however there is a step called 'Processing' that is usually how many people get 'the' look of the film. If more Directors had the guts of Tony Scott where he'd probably allow a DP to throw paint on the film as it was shooting, that would be great, but many aren't that brave.

Processing is a very important step. Without processing the image on the film would remain latent and the DP might as well have run leader through the camera.

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale