Star Trek goes HD

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

Yes, they tested f-900, f-950, Varicam, and recording to HDcam SR for green screen, which is a major improvement over the older 4:2:2 version. The tests look very good. Unless something major blows up, the whole season will be shot on HD.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Marvin Rush said:

> If anything, it's neck-and-neck with film.

Interesting. Wasn't it Marvin Rush who made some equally interesting but also opinionated and frankly incorrect assertations about video about this time last year, in the context of shooting Star Trek?

Phil

Yeah this is a crazy about face from what this same DP said about HD before.

He was really against shooting Hd before.

It's probably more a situation where the producers decided we're shooting HD, either you like it, or we'll find a DP who does. So now he does.

I guarantee you he'll be shooting the Genesis as soon as its available.

• Premium Member
Yeah this is a crazy about face from what this same DP said about HD before.

The last time we tested HD on Star Trek was a few years ago. I remember seeing those tests and the latest ones. There is a significant difference. The first tests were clearly unacceptable, these are good. HD cameras have improved. DOF is still a problem on the 900/950, but they can live with that. Marvin's a good guy. This isn't a crazy decision, it's a reasonable conclusion based on new testing.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I seem to remember Rush being -extremely- dismissive of the entire concept, going out of his way to decry the idea and overlook obvious advantages. Now he's going out of his way to -state- the advantages. A complete reversal.

Rick Berman: "Hey, Marv. We're going to shoot Trek on HD from now on, it's going to save us a pot of cash."

Marvin Rush: "But I don't like HD."

Rick Berman: "Do you like having a job?"

Marvin Rush: "HD is great!"

Phil

• Premium Member

Marvin Rush has been with them for so many years on all four series that I doubt he's in risk of losing his job. They'll take his advice pretty seriously although it probably wan't his idea to switch. But I vaguely remember Brannon Braga telling me that John Alonzo had them testing 60i HD for the movie "Star Trek Generations" because Alonzo was a big believer in HD, but they decided that the look of the movie series was too established to screw around with. But even then, they were interested in shooting HD. So this comes as no surprise. I was more surprised when they decided to shoot "Star Trek Enterprise" on film when it came out two years ago.

Yes, I still watch "Star Trek"...

Live long and prosper.

I watch it too.

The alien races all speaking english and looking like humans is

a bit of a cheezy concept for my taste, but you get used to that.

The characters are very well established and have personality and deph (unlike in the new star wars). The series is socially conscious, and touches many philosophical issues in an intelligent way.

There is a significant difference. The first tests were clearly unacceptable, these are good. HD cameras have improved

Is this still the F900 we're talking about? Just curious what's changed for the better, is it a more through understanding of what an HD camera can/can't do, have the post-production processes gotten better, or is it the camera itself that has gotten better? Are they using the new custom gamma curves that you can program with the CvpFileEditor for better highlight control?

Just curious since it is STILL and F900 we're talking about here (I assume), and I don't think it's changed that much since it first came out. There have been some improvements, but nothing that I'd regard as revolutionary.

BTW, are they recording HDCAM or HDCAM-SR (via a tethered deck)? I would guess that'd make a big difference.

Hmm, I was reading the article in question and Marvin is saying that there's some big "new" improvements in the MarkIII cameras-and that they rival film??

I mean there are some improvments, but again apart from customizable gamma curves, I can't think of anything else.

• Premium Member

Attaching the F900 to an HDCAM-SR deck won't get you anything much better than attaching it to a D5 deck, since the camera can only send out 4:2:2.

I think Rush is referring to the Version 3 upgrade, which also makes the DCC much more powerful (perhaps that's what he was referring to in regards to filming explosions and holding onto detail). But you're right in that it hardly seems a radical enough improvement in quality compared to the original F900.

• Premium Member
Attaching the F900 to an HDCAM-SR deck won't get you anything much better than attaching it to a D5 deck, since the camera can only send out 4:2:2.

Is the F-950 able to output 4:4:4? I know they tested it, too. And there were green screen tests slated as 4:4:4 and 4:2:2, showing clearly the superiority of having full chroma resolution when you use chroma data to make luma decisions.

Sony's version 3 upgrade goes a long way towards getting rid of that greasy video look, especially in the shoulder.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I guess there are two generations of the F950 and the second can output 4:4:4 but the first is limited to 4:2:2. It's a bit confusing because when Sony announced the F950 and the 4:4:4 option, I was thinking "but I read that an F950 was used to shoot some of the miniatures in "Attack of the Clones"... so is it a new camera or isn't it?"

• Premium Member
I guess there are two generations of the F950 and the second can output 4:4:4 but the first is limited to 4:2:2.

It kinda defeats the purpose of model numbers if there are bigger changes within the production run of a model than there are from one model to another.

-- J.S.

"You have no idea how much confusion there's been between the HDC950 and the F950. They are two different cameras, but life would have been so much easier if Sony would have used different numbers."

Yes. The f in the f500 denotes that it does 24p. But the f in the f950 denotes that it does 4:4:4!!

The system goes something like this...

If the Sony model has a HDC the c is for camera and is managed by the camera division.

If the product has a HDW then the W denotes it is managed by the recorder bods (HDWf500 HDWf900)

Also it is not uncommon for a different design team to make a new menue structure. This could explain why the menue from a mark 1 f900 doesn't work with the HDW750 or Mark 3 upgrade.

Sony say that they change the teams to have a fresh set of engineers redisign systems so they design out (existing) faults.

This is fine in theory but with the clever new ideas comes incompatability with previous models, at least at the operater level.

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

Hi,

On a similar note, does anyone have any idea what "BVW" stands for?

Or "DSR?"

Or "AJ?" Ms. Crittenden? AJ seems to be DVCPRO gear, whereas my cheap and nasty camera is an AG, because it's straight DV.

Phil

On a similar note, does anyone have any idea what "BVW" stands for?

B for Broadcast, V for Video, W is an ideogram describing the tape path ! (M belonged to Panasonic, so with Sony you're looking at it from the other side of the machine :D )

My theory.

-Sam