Cinematography.com podcast?

ben jones

Hello all at cinematography.com

You may notice I do not post regularly (working in a school at the moment so not shooting as much as I want) but I do visit and read posts all the time and find its an excellent way to keep updated for when I do shoot. A big thankyou to everyone for teaching everyone!

I emailed Tim Tyler yesterday and approached him with the idea of a cinematography.com podcast. Maybe someone has already thought of it (I couldnt find anything here though). I have recently discovoured the potential of this medium and would agree that it can work as a fantastic learning tool (the music ones are pretty cool too!).

For example, people could record instructional audio sessions on "Different ways to light a shed" or "top 10 HD do's and dont's" or "how not to annoy your gaffer!" Even if people were super enthusiastic they could do weekly or at least regular updates from the set. Maybe some of the sparks out there may want to put together basic electrical saftey podcasts with inexperienced film makers in mind.

Video podcasting would also be useful for maybe step by step guides on how to build budget lighting solutions or even small lighting demonstrations, with the actual footage on the end! I think it could be really fun - I would subscribe! Plus, I assume everyone on here likes to shoot stuff, so who better to do it!

well, theres my idea. I would be really interested to see if anyone thinks this is worth developing. all suggestions welcome! Tim suggested I post the idea to see what response it got. Maybe its madness or maybe its another way to make a great site even greater.

Thanks again

Benjamin Jones (formally Major B) winchester UK

What about a video podcast for people to upload reels and work samples? That would be sweet. For a long time I was wary of the video ipods, but I was just given one and I'm very impressed with the quality of the compression. I'ts a pretty awesome little device.

Audio would be cool too, but not as cool. It would be mostly like McReady's voice journal in "The Thing."

• Premium Member
What about a video podcast for people to upload reels and work samples? That would be sweet. For a long time I was wary of the video ipods, but I was just given one and I'm very impressed with the quality of the compression. I'ts a pretty awesome little device.

Audio would be cool too, but not as cool. It would be mostly like McReady's voice journal in "The Thing."

Most definately! I'm planning on compressing my reel for it when I'm all done for the time being. I'd love that.

Let me sum-up everyones opinion on the subject; "Hell, Yeah!"

Also, some of our pros could dish up interesting essays on the state of the art, and update their current projects in another fashion, there are endless possibilities....ENDLESS!!!

Tim....? Maybe if cost was an issue a top tier "subscriber" membership could pay to , say, influence some of our guys to donate time in recording material, ect., in the name of education.

Just thoughts, ideas. Of course free is always good.... :)