The New World 65mm Shots

Joe Taylor

I haven't seen a direct quote from anybody involved in the production regarding which scenes/specific shots used the 65mm format and I believe that I've read every technical article on this film. I may be wrong, but I think Lubezki just talked about "enhanced" moments between Smith and Pocahontas on the AC article, or something like that. Nothing about the ships or other sequences.

Anyway, I saw the film twice at the theater and I couldn't discern any large-format shot. It was very, very sharp, but nothing looked like real 65mm footage.

• Premium Member
Anyway, I saw the film twice at the theater and I couldn't discern any large-format shot. It was very, very sharp, but nothing looked like real 65mm footage.

Same here. I worked with the script suerpvisor for the English scenes some months ago but forgot to ask her about the 65mm.

• Premium Member
I haven't seen a direct quote from anybody involved in the production regarding which scenes/specific shots used the 65mm format and I believe that I've read every technical article on this film. I may be wrong, but I think Lubezki just talked about "enhanced" moments between Smith and Pocahontas on the AC article, or something like that. Nothing about the ships or other sequences.

My source is the post house that actually worked on those sequences.

• 2 weeks later...
And strapped to lots of racing cars in "Grand Prix" . John Holland.

The old Making of... short has a couple of shots of them being hand held. They look so compact.

I tried one on once, a bit on the heavy side but not as awkward as an NPR.

Can you find the reflection of S.Kubrick using one in '2001'?

Apparently all the dialogue in 'The New World' was post-synced because Malick was giving directions during takes.

Leo .so long since i saw 2001 on a Cinerama screen , about 10 times over a month , do remember reflection , but cant recall shot , please put me out of my misery . John Holland ,London.

---at the TMA-1 excavation. After they reach the bottom of the ramp, there's a hand held medium shot following them to the monolith. SK is reflected in a helmet visor of someone on the left side of screen.