Adding music to a production (Newbie Question!)

Hi, I just started some actual filming jobs, such as bands and weddings. Well, I have a wedding coming up which I need to film, and one question is making me a little nervous: Suppose my clients (in which case would be the bride and groom) want me to use their favorite background music, which is, of course, copywrited material. Would I have to submit a request to the artist of that song to use it? If so, this is going to be one interesting production...

Thanks!

Mike

First of all, thanks for your help!

But... I know that I can use the music if it's just for one party to use, but since I am charging for my services, wouldn't that make the production "commercial"? That's my problem.

Thanks again!

Mike

God, why even worry? That's my question. It's not like they're going to track you down and sue you. Just take the money and do what you have to do.

If the bride and groom own the actual CD (meaning no burned cds, just storebought) it is my understanding that you can add that to their wedding video, as long as its just for them. If you sell the video to guests then it may appear you are selling their music. I think the argument goes there is no law that says the bride and groom can't play a CD on their sound system while watching the DVD, so there should be no reason they can't have that music on the DVD, since they already purchased the rights for personal home exibition of the songs in questions (they bought those rights with the CD)

This is my understanding. I don't know if it is legaly acurate, but I have seen very large firms (some of the biggest wedding firms) claim on their website that the will do it. If someone is comfortable enough to advertise that on a website, it must be close enough to legit.

I think the argument goes there is no law that says the bride and groom can't play a CD on their sound system while watching the DVD, so there should be no reason they can't have that music on the DVD, since they already purchased the rights for personal home exibition of the songs in questions (they bought those rights with the CD)

OK, thanks, Michael! That makes sense to me. Now I feel more comfortable adding music to the DVD.

Thanks!

Mike