walking through portal effect?

hi,

im trying to figure out how to achieve the 'walking through protal' effect like seen on programmes such as 'stargate' etc. Basicaly id like to find out how i can film someone walking through a wall which when interacted with turns to a liquid type effect then be able to walk straight through it. any ideas?

• Premium Member
hi,

im trying to figure out how to achieve the 'walking through protal' effect like seen on programmes such as 'stargate' etc. Basicaly id like to find out how i can film someone walking through a wall which when interacted with turns to a liquid type effect then be able to walk straight through it. any ideas?

post on an fx forum would be a start.... seriously though you will need an experienced 3d crew and a decent post supervisor, who will texture map live action plates onto 3d models that will be manipulated, the depending on how you want the shots to work you will need to do a certain amount of bluescreen as well.

keith

Why don't you just use a real portal?

If you send me a short clip of the part you want I MIGHT be able to do something with it in 3DS MAX.

Another option (i persionaly LOVE this one) is to have some sort of neon light around the corners of a dorrway and throw some dust in it. its a hit or miss thing and works about 75% of thr time.

You could do something like in Terminator... maybe something where you'd shoot the scene with the actor "walking through the portal" then take a clean plate, then cut between the two with some bright flashes. Maybe even shine a light at the camera outside at night and luma-key in the flare. I'd much rather watch a film with these types of methods over one with a liquidy cg portal.

If it?s a Stargate kind of scenario you can lock off the camera and shoot the portal. Then shoot the person walking through the portal and cut the two shots together with the person just through the portal. Then do the best you can to create a portal effect. It could be as simple as a flash of light or as complex as a vortex. It is easy to do if the portal has an actual hole in it. If the portal is solid then you need to green screen the person and shoot it as two separate elements so you can get the person to walk past the plane of the wall. This would be much more complicated.

Never seen Stargate, but often portal effects are done by shooting the person on greenscreen and then shirnking and screen as they walk though - the quick way. the longer way is rotoing them such that whatever would be through the portal is roto'd first. It's the old "how did they do that?" being answered by "a lot of labor." For any ripples there are 2D and 3D ways of rippling a cleanplate - neither is that complex. then add glows and flashes and viola! portal effect.

• 3 weeks later...
You have to be careful as some Portals are terrible for fogging film, and the possiblity that an interdimensional hyper beast might come through and eat your crew. :D

Yeah and make sure you use a Loretzian traversable wormhole, not the kind that are like black holes and smash everything into photons.

Edited by David Sweetman