Muslin Backdrop Question

I am wanting to get a backdrop to use in some of my student projects and was considering ordering a black muslin backdrop from a photography website. Since i'm a complete novice I really don't know much about the fabric options and wanted to know what the thickness of Muslin is. I am hoping it is somewhat substantial and will be unlikely to fold or crease or blow around, but the impression I get is that it isn't much more than a bedsheet.

I am wanting to get a backdrop to use in some of my student projects and was considering ordering a black muslin backdrop from a photography website. Since i'm a complete novice I really don't know much about the fabric options and wanted to know what the thickness of Muslin is. I am hoping it is somewhat substantial and will be unlikely to fold or crease or blow around, but the impression I get is that it isn't much more than a bedsheet.

If you want a heavy black backdrop, use duvytyne.

The muslin drop I got from a photog supplier years ago is indeed much like a dyed bed sheet.

• Premium Member

Duvetyne is a great option and available on the web by the foot. You can also get black felt fabric from your local fabric store. Best thing about it is you can not wrinkle it. It's think enough to abuse and cheap enough to replace every now and then.