Old NASA style stock footage

Michael Rizzi

I have a short film coming up that takes place in the late 50's/early 60's. The director wants a look from that period and also be able to cut in stock footage of things like rockets taking off into space and other various science/sci-fi things. So I guess I have two questions...

1. I was planning on doing a lot of coloring in post (we're shooting super 16), but are there any suggestions as to what I can do in camera to get me as close to that look as possible. I'm thinking about a low contrast, high key, pastel type look. Stocks, filters?

2. Where would I find that specific NASA/space travel stock footage? Preferably cheap :D

Thanks,

Rizzi

• Premium Member
I have a short film coming up that takes place in the late 50's/early 60's. The director wants a look from that period and also be able to cut in stock footage of things like rockets taking off into space and other various science/sci-fi things. So I guess I have two questions...

1. I was planning on doing a lot of coloring in post (we're shooting super 16), but are there any suggestions as to what I can do in camera to get me as close to that look as possible. I'm thinking about a low contrast, high key, pastel type look. Stocks, filters?

2. Where would I find that specific NASA/space travel stock footage? Preferably cheap :D

Thanks,

Rizzi

Hi,

Royalty free stock footage is probably the cheapest way to go.

http://www.timeimage.com/vol/nasa-apollo-moon-footage.html

Stephen

You won't get the footage for free, NASA footage is handled by a private company. There will be dubbing charges and a search fee, they charge $75.00 per search. The footage it self is public domain like all US gov't footage.

Next step, you have to find the guy who sells it and does the searches.

R.

You may want to check out the video for Boards of Canada's "Dayvan Cowboy", directed by Melissa Olsen (Google it). The bulk of the video is NASA stock footage of high-altitude parachute jumps filmed sometime during the late 50's-early 60's. It's an awe inspiring image, and may help you get an idea of what the stocks they were using at the time looked like.

You may want to check out the video for Boards of Canada's "Dayvan Cowboy", directed by Melissa Olsen (Google it). The bulk of the video is NASA stock footage of high-altitude parachute jumps filmed sometime during the late 50's-early 60's. It's an awe inspiring image, and may help you get an idea of what the stocks they were using at the time looked like.

I checked out the video. That was pretty amazing...I had no idea they did test jumps from that altitude. Unfortunately because of the compression on youtube's videos it's a little difficult to judge film stocks and image quality. I'm thinking about maybe shooting with reversal stock. It's supposed to look like a NASA documentary, as if there was a cameraman along with these astronauts when they discovered another planet and the footage was found later. Any thoughts?