"Armageddon for Andy"

Eugene Lehnert

Hello everyone. Below is a link to the intro of our film "Armageddon for Andy." It tells the tale of high school love during times of war. It's been 5 years in the making. We definately took on a project bigger than any of us imagined. But we learned a lot along the way. We are screening the full film this weekend at the Anthology Film Archives and hope to submit to festivals soon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sp4gmjlaAHo

Thanks!

Eugene Lehnert

www.bohemiafilms.com

• Premium Member
It's been 5 years in the making.

What took so long? I'm sorry but I don't see 5 years of work in the video. The atom bomb sequence was OK but everything else seemed to drop below the line in one way or another. And what was that bit with the rose, was that suppose to be from Andy?

It took 5 years because we honestly just didn't know what we were doing. It took a lot of mistakes and time but I think we finished something that feels like a full watchable film. That and we didn't have any money. We probably spent about $10k on the whole thing. A lot of donated time and effort by many.

Yes, that rose is supposed to be from Andy.

It took 5 years because we honestly just didn't know what we were doing. It took a lot of mistakes and time but I think we finished something that feels like a full watchable film. That and we didn't have any money. We probably spent about $10k on the whole thing. A lot of donated time and effort by many.

Yes, that rose is supposed to be from Andy.

Its really not a bad short, but seriously five years??? Theres maybe ten different shots in the film total! Where did the 10k go!?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robert G Andrews

Eugene... time, money, titles, music, web sites... but where's the story that's supposed to make us feel your pain, your joy and your 'fight'?

• 4 weeks later...

I just dont think that full-length movies should be done

with video. its a waste of energy to me.

Only do your 10minute short of the movie idea to pitch

to investors in order to get a proper budget to make it

right.....with film.

I didn't think much of it to be honest, its hard to watch

a "movie" in video. I hate video for that context. Save

video for where it fits.

PS- this wasnt meant to bash your feature....its just my

opinion on the indie film approach to success and the

quality and tactics behind doing it.

I've seen SOOOO much worse than this, so good job,

and good luck on your next endeavor!

I agree for the most part. But if you don't know what you are doing, video is great. Storytelling is the most important aspect of a film. Why waste all that money learning storytelling when film can be so expensive and so damn complicated. Now with all these low-end video cameras that look very film-like in SD why go film unless you actually have something worth showing the world?

I wonder how many people out there thought that they could all be Kevin Smith? Imagine spending $30k and having to pay that back for the rest of your life because your film went nowhere? But yeah, shooting with film just gives your film some respectability.

I would say our movie "Armageddon for Andy" would not exist without video. I would also not know as much as I do now. But if I knew then what know now I would assuredly have shot on film.

I would love to re-shoot this movie though. Any takers?

Edited by Eugene Lehnert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone! Saturday, February 24th our first feature length film "Armageddon for Andy" will be playing at the Two Boots Pioneer theater in Manhattan at 6:30pm. It's the same weekend of the big New York Comic Con. Tickets are available online at the link below.

http://pioneertheater.tix.com/Event.asp?Event=80188

http://www.twoboots.com/pioneer/

From the first day of kindergarten, Andy knew he was going to take Bethany Hopkins to the senior prom. The only problem is: he never bothered to tell Bethany. In fact, Andy's never even spoken to her. But with the prom only twenty-four hours away, he's not going to let a little thing like that get him down. He's got bigger problems. Mainly the fact that America is on the brink of a nuclear war that not only threatens to destroy the free world... but his prom night as well.

"Sometimes, the unexplainable inexplicably happens ? the movie was amazing. Shot on video for an obviously non-existent budget (don?t go in looking for Clerks 3), the movie does make a strong case for being the next Clerks 1."

Dave Baxter, Brokenfrontier.com

"Following in the footsteps of guys like Kevin Smith (Clerks, etc), Bob Lipski (Uptown Girl) and others, Bohemia Films? Eugene Lenhert and Marc Dworkin have brought their creation, Andy, to life in a full-length feature film, Armageddon for Andy."

Benjamin Ong Pang Kean, Newsarama.com

Check out the first five-minutes on Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp4gmjlaAHo

Some articles about the movie and comic book!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=90281

http://brokenfrontier.com/lowdown/details.php?id=542

Edited by Eugene Lehnert

5 years?!!! i`ll be honest I hated a lot of the framing, subjects positiones out of the frame!!!!!! it just annoyed my eyes... sorry but i`m just being honest... some issues with sound... sorry but i think you guys should have just made a 10 - 15 min short and then move on to something else... spending 5 years on this was a bit too much... but it great that you have finished it....

It's cool. Please be honest.

I think we should have made a 10-15 minute short too but we didn't know any better. I don't want to make anything this big again. I think for a while it seemed like we wouldn't finish it but we invested sooo much time into it I couldn't not finish it. I didn't want to turn 40 one day and say "remember that movie we started but never finished?"

I learned a hell of a lot from making that thing. And over time I think we somehow made it better than it would have ever been originally. The funny thing was it started out as a 20 minute musical. Then it turned into a 120 page feature with no musical numbers. We after filming we had a 110 minute boring film and we cut it down to a quick 80 minute feature that has "spirit."

We've been showing it around and we've gotten a pretty damn good response. The best response is from people at comic book conventions. I think they can look past the lousy production value and see it for what we meant it to be. Just a strange teen-comedy about love and the end of the world. And in the end that's all that really matters. We may never see big distribution but we will have our small little audience. Even if it's only a few hundred people.

But yeah, I don't know what we were thinking. I always tell new filmmakers to make shorts. Don't invest a lot of money and just learn the basics of storytelling. The KISS rule.

Nice work dude. I dunno why people here are getting in a tizzy about the 5 years and shot-on-video stuff. Everyone has their own agenda and on your first project most people are doing it part time, especially for the sum you made it for, so it's gonna take longer to do. $10K is cheap as chips for a feature and I don't think anyone can even say anything negative for that fact alone.

I liked the cartoon intro, and the shots don't look like video in a bad way. Whoever said "why bother shoot this on video" is a film snob and I think we're well past that era now, aren't we? Video is a great place to cut your teeth AND finish on as well.

Good work, it's looking good and best of luck to you.

You can't listen to those people. If they bring up some interesting points listen but overall it's just background noise to me. I don't understand why people have to try and bring others down.

But my hats off to you Mike and Dan for the nice comments.

If you're good it doesn't matter what you shoot on. You'll make it work.

We're going to be on the radio!

Wednesday, January 10th at 2pm Eastern Standard time Marc Dworkin, Chris Giarrusso and myself will be interviewed on Fanboy Radio in Fort Worth Texas. We'll talk about our movie "Armageddon for Andy" and our book "Andy."

Please check it out if you have time. The podcast is available on iTunes as well.

www.fanboyradio.com

• 1 month later...