Spike Tape

I've heard of spiking the actor, so I guess calling it spike tape makes sense. I use gaffers tape, about 5 different colors. To distinguish the actor's marks. They also have reusable sandbag markers.

Paper tape would work too, actually anything works. For dolly shots there are a lot of tricks but I've seen regular 2" orange/green tape with the feet written on it.

Matt :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Paper tape, 1? or ½?, and be sure to ?tab? the ends so you can pull it up easily. Gaffer?s tape is far to adhesive and will pull coatings off of floors. On sensitive floors the AC?s even put the tape on their shirts first to reduce its adhesiveness. AC?s also carry small ?T? shaped sand bags for more flexible marking.

The idea of buying tape seems really weird to me. I don't think I've bought tape in a while...usually, various colors and sizes of it just sort of show up in an expendables bag halfway through the job...if you buy 1" tape I would recommend getting the kind with the smaller core so that you can fit it on your tape loop more easily. If you want to really be a rock star AC, you're going to need both cloth and paper tape, in pretty much all available sizes. Don't be afraid to get crazy with the colors. And don't get too attached, because people will "borrow" it from time to time, and chances are you will leave some of it on a job at least once!

It basically comes down to using something that's visible, not going to mar the location and will stand up to the demands of the situation.

Common sense is the order of the day.

I've also used very big nails with coloured tape flags when focus marks are required in grassy exteriors.

I've seen golf tee's used on more than one occasion as well.

We used golf tees for marking the center of tires on a vehicles starting point (side opposite the camera)

so the car was in almost the exact starting position for each take.

• 1 month later...
There seems to be some confusion about this among resellers. So which is it? Camera/gaffers/cloth or paper?

I worked as both a 2nd and 1st in LA for many years on over 150 different productions and here is my opinion.

If you are marking actors use 1/2" or 1" paper tape (you may call it spike tape if you wish).

The adhesive on the back is not as strong as camera or gaffer tape and this is important when filming in private homes. You don't want to remove the tape only to bring the homeowners floor finish up with it.

1" cloth tape is called Camera Tape.

2" cloth tape is called Gaffer Tape.